Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Default First Hand Post

Well after lurking for a while and having my first downswing I am going to take my improvement more seriously. One think that I know I do it call down too much when I think I am beaten and miss bets those times I am ahead. Just got to the table so no reads on anyone.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: First Hand Post

Without any reads or stats this is obviously a little more difficult. I would probably raise/fold the turn. Also, you'll probably get more constructive responses if you structure the hand like this:

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero?

The bet on the river does change things a bit, but I think your bigger decision is how to play the turn. It will influence the others decision if they see the river bet. He could still be on a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and/or a straight draw and you could still have the best hand.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:16 PM

Hi sting welcome to th forums. I would have tossed it in the muck pre flop.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 PM

I'm folding preflop, but post flop I really don't think this is bad.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 PM

raise/fold the turn? Why pay 2 bets to muck to a 3-bet when we could pay 2 to see showdown? Chances of him folding are pretty slim.

The ugliness of situations like this is a big reason why we rarely advocate calling PF with these hands. You get caught in situations like this too much, a smallish pot with subpar hands. Folding PF is best here.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise/fold the turn? Why pay 2 bets to muck to a 3-bet when we could pay 2 to see showdown? Chances of him folding are pretty slim.

The ugliness of situations like this is a big reason why we rarely advocate calling PF with these hands. You get caught in situations like this too much, a smallish pot with subpar hands. Folding PF is best here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that when I posted and this is one of the situations that I really need to work on. My thinking was if he is on a draw with say KQ he's probably only going to bet the river if he hits his hand i.e K,A,9 or a Q which in this case would be good for us. Otherwise, he checks and folds on the river. When we are ahead we get more out of him and when we are behind we lose the same. With that said, this is a hard hand to read for me as there are a number of draws so I am probably wrong and welcome any corrections.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:10 PM

Yeah, there's no reason to raise fold the turn. I think his bet here denotes a weaker kicker that now thinks he can maybe pull off a bluff, since you can't have the ten.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:41 PM

I don't like the call preflop. You're prone to domination and you're not in the best position.

That said, I like your flop raise. You've got top pair with an ok kicker. With no reads, I think you gotta ride this one out.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 AM

this is totally standard, no need to question it.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 AM

Thanks guys for the input. I now see that this is a little bit of a loose call preflop. It's been a couple of months since I read SSH, looks like it is time for a reread. Villain turned over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].