Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Raising with top pair on the turn

I was playing a live 3/6 game in San Diego and I got into an arguement with an ignorant player. I wanted to get some comments on how I played this hand. I had JKs in a late position, raised and saw the flop with 3 other players. the board came J 8 5 rainbow, all hands bet and I called. The turn came 5 all players called, I raised to figure that I was protecting a weaker hand, all players called. The river came a J, all players bet I raised they called. both players showed a 5. One player was extemely upset that I raised the turn with a pair on the board and called me a lucky inexperianced player. I admitted to being lucky but told him that I did the right thing by raising the turn to protect my hand. He got into a huge arguement with me and I wanted to fight him becuase he was acting so riduculous. I told him he doent know how to play and if he was more agressive he wouldn't suck. Im thinking I played it right. Any comments?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Raising with top pair on the turn

Kind of hard to read, but I see no problem with raising the turn. I think raising the flop would be a good idea too.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:40 PM

Wanting to fight anybody over a poker game is retarded. Do what I do and jump up and down while breaking furniture. And raise the flop already.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 PM

Smile and nod.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. . . I admitted to being lucky . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

nice play.

[ QUOTE ]
. . .but told him that I did the right thing by raising the turn to protect my hand. He got into a huge arguement with me and I wanted to fight him becuase he was acting so riduculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most idiotic things I've read in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
I told him he doent know how to play and if he was more agressive he wouldn't suck. Im thinking I played it right. Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you played it right by arguing with some guy to the point of wanting to fight, and educating him on how to play better, more aggressive poker? That's retarded.

Sorry for the "tough love." Welcome to the forums.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Your raises on the turn and river were not to "protect" but, rather, for value.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Smile and nod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Think of the players from whom you win money as your customers. The customer is always right.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll remember to keep my cool and never to discourage passive play.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:36 AM

Dude, dont be an idiot.

example: my first time playing live, I had had a ton of experience online, I knew I was the best player at the table...one of the girls asks if I had ever read any poker books. I say sure, I read Phil Hellmuths book once and that was about it...later there was a similar argument to yours about one of my hands, I smile nod and tell them hey its my first time playing live, of course Im going to make mistakes.

If hes and idiot hes and idiot, trying to educate him at the table is a bad bad move. Especially with the rest of the table listening in. Its like Darth Vader telling Luke hes his father.

Most live players are there to enjoy the time. I was really surprised, online u get a ton of pissed off players over the chat...but most live games Ive played are pretty jovial.