Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 11:10 PM

Default How loose do you get pre-flop?

Scenario: You're playing in a lower limit SNG (say 11 or 22) on Party and your table is reallly passive pre-flop. We're talking, you can see the flop for the blind (let's assume we're at level 2) 8 times out of 10.

Now, I'm typically going to be very tight in this scenario (given the blind level) but how much would you loosen up your starting hands given this table disposition.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: How loose do you get pre-flop?

depends on how loose or tight the table is...

If there are like 4-6 people limping every hand then I would consider maybe playing suited connectors and baby pairs upfront, figuring I might get paid off if I hit my hand.

If they are tight and there is alot of preflop folding, then I stick to playing (and raising) with the big pairs (AA-JJ) and AK, and limping with other pairs down to 7 or so.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 PM

but honestly, I'm ussually playing 4 so I basically stick to being tight early because I don't normally have a great feel for the table early on.

But... If I was paying attention this early (which can happen every once in a while) that would be my strategy.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your table is reallly passive pre-flop. We're talking, you can see the flop for the blind ...8 times out of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that Party allowed that kind of tight play at their lower level S&Gs. Joking aside, I feel that this kindof scenerio would lead me to be more loose from MP2-BB to limp in with small pok pairs, suited connectors, and even the occassional 810 or J9 - hoping that a nice flop would allow me to make some good chips.

However, if the table shut down after the flop as well, I would be less inclined to do so, since the implied odds wouldn't be there.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:43 PM

Agreed. Ya, it was a freak of nature 11$ on Party - I thought I sat down with 9 freshmen in high school who just read a poker book 20 minutes ago which said the words "tight aggressive" and they are trying to enact it - there were 10 players at level 4!