Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Flopped the nut straight...

Live 6-12 game at Artichoke Joes. Game is very loose and somewhat aggressive, with the player 2 to my left being prett-aggressive pre-flop, but able to lay it down later in the hand if it doesn't hit him. I have Q10o on the button. 4 callers to me, and I complete (the button posts a live $3 at AJs). SB completes, BB (aggressive player) raises, called around. 7 players see the flop for 2 bets each. Flop is 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. BB and I cap it on the flop. A couple other players throw in a SB, but once the raising war starts, they all get out. Heads up.

Turn: 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. Wow, that could have been worse. Someone also could have plucked out my left eye with a shrimp fork. BB bets. I try to think of what he could have he would play like this. I'm left with the unfortunate conclusion that JJ seems pretty darn likely. However, the pot right now is huge. I manage to convince myself that he could have AA or KK and puts me on AJ. Anyone else fold here? I call, river is a rag, he bets, I call.

What do you think of my play? Results to follow.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Flopped the nut straight...

BB turns over Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img], having flopped the straight, and turned the straight flush.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:23 PM

It sounds like there are about 24 small bets in the pot after the flop. Your effective odds for calling down your opponent are 7:1. Do you think there's at least a 1/8 chance he was over-aggressive with an overpair (perhaps Ax A[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img], Kx K[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img], or Qx Q[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img])? I do. Call him down.

-- Homer
Old 03-12-2003, 04:22 PM

I would have played the same way, checking and calling from the turn on...
Old 03-12-2003, 05:22 PM

Heads-up at AJ's 6-12? I'll call that down every time and expect to see AJ/TT/QQ/KK/AA enough times to make that a profitable decision.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:56 PM

Your play seems fine ... the pot is much too big to fold what will still often be the best hand. But the board and your opponents actions are certainly scary enough not to add any more bets to the pot.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:11 PM

I probably play it the same way. Not a good card on the turn, but I am not going to lay my hand down. You might still be ahead, or even chopping depending on how aggressive he is out of the blinds.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:36 PM

Pot too big. No fold nut straight.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:22 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

depends on the bettor doesnt it? if this was someone who only bets when he has it, and wont bet a paired board unless he has a great holding, i would fold...

a trickier player, id be more likely to call...

pot size alone shouldnt override a solid read. otherwise, why do reads if your not going to save chips...even when it's obvious a player has you beat...

again...depends on the opponent..

but this guy also knows you helped cap a flop, so he knows you have at least a decent hand...yet he's still coming at you. something to think about...

b