Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 PM

Default New poster, A9o in the small blind

Hello all, I've recently switched from full ring to 6max, and I am reborn as a pokerplayer. It is so much more fun, my winrate has doubled (allthough the 5k hands are way too small a sample size). Now well, to the hand.

Party 25NL, 6max. Villain is a total maniac. (70%vpip/40%pfr over 80 hands, and she has yet to fold to a pf-reraise.) But she has somehow, before I arrived, managed to build a 400bb stack. I have the seat to her left, so even though the rest of the table is unusually tight and decent, I won't let go. (Is this reasonable, or should I spend my time at a table where all the players suck?)

I've doubled up on her once since I bought in, but I lost that stack again to her on a bad beat. (I realize that even if I get all in preflop with AA against her 4 times in a row, it is more than 50% likely she will have my original 25$ in her now 450bb stack, so I'm not complaining.) But anyway, I've bought back in for 25$ quite recently.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the sb. One limper to her, she raises to 5$. I push.

Comments?

I'll post some of my reasoning and the results later. (oh, and I apologise for my english. It's not my first language.)
Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: New poster, A9o in the small blind

I don't have PT or anything, I just find the table with the biggest Avg. Pot sizes and any players I have notes on as being fishes. Tight players are very easy to play against IMO. As for your hand, it sounds reasonable to me, going by your reads.

Edit- I forgot the obligitory "welcome to the forums". Sorry. And I couldn't even tell that you didn't speak English as a first language until I saw the note at the bottom. And glad to hear that you're doing well (even though some posters will tell you its too small a sample size).
Old 02-24-2005, 11:29 PM

The were not tight, just unusually tight for the 25NL 6max. I suppose most of them were in the upper 20's of vpip. And they were decent (for the limit). Playing against decent players is not especially easy.

Hope I don't seem cocky. I'm just a rookie.

Why don't you have pt?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 PM

I don't play 6max but that seems unusually tight as you say.

You don't seem too cocky.

I don't have PT because I'm just too damn good to have it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 11:41 PM

There is a good chance that you are dominated here and even if you aren't, she probably has a small pocket pair so you are on the poor end of a coinflip. Just find a better spot. You know she is not folding. Even if she has a hand like KJ you are not that big a favorite. Against loose people with big stacks, I prefer to see a lot of flops with them and then push my postflop advantage which is almost always significantly larger than my preflop advantage. Unless you have a big pocket pair.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:48 AM

nicely put-worst player
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 AM

I don't like it. This isn't how you take on a maniac with marginal hands preflop. Sure, you might get called and might end up being a 55%-60% favorite to win the hand but that's just not enough of an edge for me when I can bust the maniac on the flop or afterwards with a far greater edge.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Default My reasonning.

I have a limited time with a (very) bigstacked maniac. It is limited because she might leave, and because there are other decent players at the table who could take her money bofore me. In other words I want to take her money fast, and to do so I need to double up ASAP.

I am comfortable getting all my money in on a coinflip in this situation because: If I lose I can just buy back in, but if I double up she will have to pay twice the price to double me up next time. Sounds like a +ev-coinflip to me? I naturally need to tighten up once I get over the max-buyin. I would, for several reasons, not consider making this move with a $50 stack.

Besides, 40% pfr is awfully much, so I feel I'm ahead her range of hands, but not by too much of course, as the replyers allready pointed out. I also thought it would be valuable information to know if she would fold to a preflop push. (She hadn't been faced with one of those yet. And if I double up; the next time I might want to do it I'll have a stronger holding, while she'll still remember my push with a relatively weak hand.)

I could be far off though. Did I read you correctly twp, that your advise is to call? I can't say I like that.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Results

She calls and flips over Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river. My full house wins the pot [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the seat to her left, so even though the rest of the table is unusually tight and decent, I won't let go. (Is this reasonable, or should I spend my time at a table where all the players suck?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Never leave, this is a dream come true.

The push depends on if she is folding to reraises or pushes. If she is fodling a lot of hands here, then I don't like the push as much. Otherwise, I think it
s fine.