Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 PM

Default How should I have played this hand?

I was in a Multi-table Tourney freeroll where 1st place received $100 & 2nd received $50. This was a live game not online. About 70 people showed up and we were down to about 50. I was sitting with 4600 in chips when this hand came up. People had been respecting bets and most pots were between 2 people only. I had only played 3 hands to this point which was about 1hr 15min into the tourney. So I had a tight but very aggresive image.

Blinds 200/400 (only 6 at current table)

2nd position limps in for 400 (was a tricky player but liked to see flops)

4th position also limps in for 400...(also seemed to be a pretty good player)

Everyone else had folded to me...I was the BB
with AQ offsuit.

I raised preflop another 1000 chips from the BB (2200-pot)
and the guy in 3rd position called. The other limper folded
and the pot was 3200 going into the flop so he was getting about 2.2 to 1 to make his call there.

Flop comes 5-5-J all different suits. I lead out and put my opponent all in for his remaining 1650 in chips and he calls quickly showing K-5 suited. He ended up catching a K on the turn to add insult to injury and took the pot leaving me with 1550 in chips left.

Was this caller justified in making his call preflop and did I play the hand properly? I figured he might have an Ace-blank maybe KQ but figured he would have put all his money in preflop if he had a pair since he was somewhat shortstacked. I probably could have limped in from the BB and tried to disguise my hand and then folded if anyone bet out when nothing came on the flop. Turns out he was a 3 to 2 dog going into the flop getting 2.2 to 1 to call my bet in position. So based on that I think his call was justified but I would like to know what everyone else thinks. Thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this hand?

you are roughly at 11 BB's, you have now raised preflop so that 1/3 of your stack is in the pot, if you are CBing regardless of the flop, you may as well push to take it down preflop. You are already dangerously close (or in) push/fold mode with your stack, what better chance to take a decent sized pot with a push and pretty nice cards if someone decides to look you up.