Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 01:34 AM

Default immediate odds vs implied odds

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

Lets say after the flop there are 3 players left. The pot is 4.5 BB. The turn card brings the 3rd diamond giving me the nut flush draw. There is a bet, a raise and it is 2 BB to me to call. Since I am only getting 2.25 - 1, I do not have the correct odds to draw. Do the implied odds make this a correct call?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: immediate odds vs implied odds

[ QUOTE ]

Lets say after the flop there are 3 players left. The pot is 4.5 BB. The turn card brings the 3rd diamond giving me the nut flush draw. There is a bet, a raise and it is 2 BB to me to call. Since I am only getting 2.25 - 1, I do not have the correct odds to draw. Do the implied odds make this a correct call?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on your opponents. If you think that your opponents will pay off multiple bets with 4 diamonds on the board, go ahead and call. But a fold here is most likely the best play.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never folded a flush draw except when you're likely drawing dead. i.e. three of a kind or two pair boards. You wouldn't be far wrong.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm missing something here (I'm new) but you've got 2BB to call... Pot should be 4.5BB + 1BB + 2BB = 7.5BB?

thus: 7.5/2=3.75:1 to call right?

Odds to make flush are 1:4.1 with one card to come right?

Therefore, pot is not big enough to call (not including implied odds). But, you'd probably get at least a bet or two on the river to make up that small difference right? So, really its a good call.

Right?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 AM

I'm a newbie, too, so maybe I'm missing the same thing eniven's missing, but I'm sure he's right - the pot's now offering you 3.75 to 1, and since there are 9 cards that'll make your nut flush, the odds against you hitting it are 4.2 to 1. Given the extra bet or two you should pick up if you DO hit, calling would not be the worse thing you could do.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume you the pot is 4.5 SB after the flop, because otherwise it doesn't come out right. Then there are 2.25+3 = 5.25 BB in the pot when you need to decide, and you're getting 2.6:1 to call (the 2.25:1 you gave probably took the rake into account).

If your *ONLY* outs were the flush outs, then you would be calling and hoping that you'll get paid off enough (at least an extra 4 BB) to make it worth calling. Usually with 4 diamonds on the board, this is not the case. Your ace outs are probably good, giving you another 2-3 outs, and the kicker might give you another couple outs. However, putting it all together, plus the chances of it getting 3-bet, folding is better than calling. (But it's close enough that calling isn't terrible.)

BTW - For this to make sense, it seems like somebody must have folded the flop to no bet. Good for him.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:01 AM

With these odds I would raise if the players were loose and I had full outs for my ace and no paired flop or straight flush draw. Otherwise calling is OK.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:15 AM

I was just making an example. The pot might not be realistic. So, with the flush draw, would I have a slight pot equity edge?