Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Default AQs - bad call on turn? - implied odds? NL $50

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 ($89.38)
CO ($27)
Button ($58.65)
SB ($49)
Hero ($58.76)
UTG ($30.75)
UTG+1 (Villain)/ ($57.25)
UTG+2 ($74.65)
MP1 ($56.55)
MP2 ($49.24)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 (Villain)/ raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls $2, SB calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, Villain calls $7, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($22) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($42) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $52

I have Villain on KT K2 or AK after they quickly called my flop raise, so I'm sure if I hit my flush or my straight I'm good for all the money. If I hit my draw and the board pairs I plan on calling them down - KK TT or 22 are also possibles - if not I push the river and hope they call...

Was very tempted to push the turn - but figured if I missed the draw then I'm spewing chips for no reason.

I have 12 outs on the turn (I think) so better than 3/1 pot odds makes this slightly +EV (?)

Or am I still playing like a donk??
Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: AQs - bad call on turn? - implied odds? NL $50

I don't like the flop bet you won't take it down often.

Turn you have to at least call.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn you have to at least call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You would need to at least reraise it PF if you want to make the move on that board.

The turn is +EV. A push is risky I don't think it is a good idea.

-Gryph
Old 11-10-2005, 12:30 PM

Check fold that flop. You have only 4 outs for your gutshot. No way you are getting everyone to fold in a 4-way pot and you are probably way behind here.

You did not have the pot odds to call that turn bet, but I guess the implied odds if you hit your straight make calling acceptable. Do you expect villain to pay you off if a diamond comes? That is the biggest question you have to ask when you call that turn bet.

Overall, you are OOP in a multi-way pot with a hand that is easily dominated. Calling the pre-flop raise is fine, but I don't put another dime into pot after that flop.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked my flop raise - until I got a caller.

I'd played 100 ish hands by this one and raised about the size of the pot 4 or 5 times - until this hand everytime I'd done this everyone had folded. I was pretty confident it would have taken the pot down there and then.

Should I have checked the flop and folded to any raise (?)
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM

I put a standard villain on set KK or TT, KT, AK,KQ, KJ or QJ as his only draw. I make that about 37:63 in poker stove, given your push is less than a PSR I don't think villain is folding enough to make a push on the turn right here.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM

This is a good spot for a reraise preflop, unless you're dealing with a 4% raiser or something. Couple of weak callers make it a nice pot and you've probably got the best hand.

On the flop you should check/fold.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked my flop raise - until I got a caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't raise the flop, you bet into the pre-flop raiser. If you wanted to try to steal, then a check raise would have been a better approach.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have checked the flop and folded to any raise (?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, every day and twice on Sunday.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good spot for a reraise preflop, unless you're dealing with a 4% raiser or something. Couple of weak callers make it a nice pot and you've probably got the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice line - which begs the question - how much to reraise? 3bet? - I'd much prefer to take this pot earlier rather than later.

If I 3bet Villain preflop - and they still call but I'm HU at the flop am I still c/f - or should I c/r as I have shown lots more strength preflop and my flop bet will then have lots more weight?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:46 PM

Checking the flop here has some good things going for it.

1. If someone bets in a 4 way pot they usuually have a hand so you can fold easily with your weak draw
2. If no one bets the flop that diamond on the turn gives you a cheap semi bluff opportunity. No one is pot committed so your FE is higher and there is less to play for with the smaller pot.

You don't need or want to play for every pot. IMO

Oh... I make it you have 3 ace outs to add to your 12 against at least some of villains possible hands here, but like 4_2_it says, are there any impied odds at all for your flush draw? When you come out betting on a diamond river you need a good 2nd best hand to be out there to get paid and villain probably hasn't got it.