Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 10:37 AM

Default JJ Against a Weak Ace

TABLE CONDITIONS: BB is a fish V$IP55/PFR12. UTG is TAG V$IP13/PFR06 (seems too tight, but only 50-60 hands). I have been 3-bet several times by UTG when stealing from CO/HJ, his hands have been legit when SD. Looks fairly decent, he also knows I am reasonable and not some donkey bluffer.

$5/$10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Naphand is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand raises</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

I plan to bet-fold the Turn UI. If called will re-evaluate on th River.

Am I mad or is this standard? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: JJ Against a Weak Ace

I don't mind it. UTG doesn't give the air of a guy who limps with Ax, and he may very well be trying to push you out with a medium pp.

If I bet the turn and get called, however, I'm most certainly check-folding the river. He simply can't call the turn without an ace (or KQ of clubs, but that's one combination vs. 20+)

Will
Old 11-20-2005, 12:38 PM

Your line potentially saves you half a bet (though not quite that, since you give up your chance to river a set), but isn't it also possible you'll bully Villain into calling down with A9s?

I can see that it would be good to charge K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] extra to draw. But that's probably not what Villain has, and if he happens to have pocket 6's, we are helping him get away from his hand (though maybe he'd slow down with that anyway, once you didn't fold to his flop raise).

I doubt he has pocket 6's either, though. My guess is that you're usually behind here.

Edit: I just noticed your title. Is part of the reason for your 3-bet the idea that Villain might fold a weak ace?

If so, I have my doubts, but I guess it's possible.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:50 PM

YES - the title is my read.

I have not seen him limp from EP previously.

In games like this (not much PF raising) I will limp quite a few more MW hands from EP. My guess is that he has noticed that the table is ripe for making these plays. IMO this is Axs a lot of the time, XXs or a small PP, in that order.

Given my PFR, the board and what I have seen of his play, he is not going to call down Ax against what he will see a big Ace, esp. if x&lt;8. Would you?

Re-raising XXs is clearly to my advantage, but wrong for him to push out SB; his action is not consistent with XXs.

With a med/low PP. What is your Turn action when raising an A-high Flop and getting called by the PFR?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given my PFR, the board and what I have seen of his play, he is not going to call down Ax against what he will see a big Ace, esp. if x&lt;8. Would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a weak ace, I probably wouldn't have raised you in the first place. I would have most likely called 3 times instead (or bet if checked to, though even there I'm not sure I would on the turn, if that street were heads-up). BB could have a flush draw I'd like to charge, but it's not really very likely. On a board like this, a weak ace is most likely either way ahead or has a few chopping outs.

With a flush draw, I also usually would just call, unless I felt like semibluff raising. You wouldn't get information from me on the flop very often (unless I folded, of course).

But you're playing against Villain and not me. I doubt he's folding a weak ace, but I don't really know. I wish I had a better sense of what hands people are folding against me.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Your UTG stats suggest he would raise with a big pair and AK. A player with VP$IP of 13 will usually throw away a A9 or less and limp with AT-AQ,KQ, 99-77. He wont be playing suited connectors so one 8 is not likely, two possible but he wouldn't raise the flop with that. Looks like a AQ,AJ,AT. I don't know if you could push him off. He would figure Your preflop raise meant PP (only the AA concerns him), AK,AQ,AJ, KT+ and maybee two clubs. With all of the possiblities you could hold vs his holding he probably isn't going any where but to see if you can see the river for free is good.