Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Questionable 5th street play.

Is this raise warranted on 5th street with pair, four flush and an overcard?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.42 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (3.42 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.21 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.21 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (9.21 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (9.21 BB)
Old 11-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Questionable 5th street play.

I'm cool with the raise on 5th, but i think you should either slow down on 6th, or bet the river as a last ditch effort.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:02 PM

Yeah, perhaps. Although, I think this guy was calling down with just a pair of Queens regardless.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:19 PM

Just curious, why are you charging yourself to draw on 6th street? This guy is folding approximately Zero percent of the time. I like 5th.

Jeff

P.S. Back online after Comcast FINALLY came to install my cable...thank God.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Back online after Comcast FINALLY came to install my cable...thank God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sit at my table please.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:33 PM

I'm gonna agree with the rest of the guys, If there is anything questionable about this hand it's 6th street, take all the free cards you can get at that point, all you've got is 4's and he's not folding.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 PM

I was hoping to maximize the chances of him folding on the river if I missed by continuing to show strength on 6th street, but I just gave up for some reason.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:06 PM

Lol. I literally was in the dark for three days. It was hell. Playing some triple draw right now lol.

Jeff
Old 11-06-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. I literally was in the dark for three days. It was hell. Playing some triple draw right now lol.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another sign telling you to move to Atlantic City.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 PM

As others have indicated, raising fifth was absolutely the right play, but you should check behind on sixth. To elaborate, you can assume that if you call on fifth, the other guy will bet sixth and you will call. If you raise on fifth, he will almost always check to you on sixth, and you have the option of betting if you improve or checking behind if you don't. This gains you an extra bet when you improve, but usually costs you nothing when you don't, since two bets are going in either way.

Since you decided to keep driving on sixth, I think you need to bluff the river. If you don't think he'll fold one pair, then you definitely should have checked sixth.