Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 03:26 PM

Default question about adding tables or moving up

Long story, but I use to play $200 NL to $500 NL games (had just moved up to the $500). Quit poker for about 5 months, and now am back, but want to really learn limit (i feel the better player has a bigger advantage in NL compared to limit...but I dont handle the swings well).

Right now I 3 table $2-$4. My win rate from 1 table to 2 table doesnt change much (if at all), but it falls off quickly at 3 tables (i just dont understand how some of you multi 8 tables...wow) One of the reasons is I play my best when I "think" alot, and have a hard time just going on cruise control.

Should I try to learn to add more tables, or should I just work on my thinking game with the hope of beating a bigger game eventually (like 2 tables of $15-30 as a goal)

Thanks

ps, any exercises any of you have done to get better at more tables would be great too.

Thanks
Rizz
Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: question about adding tables or moving up

[ QUOTE ]
Should I try to learn to add more tables, or should I just work on my thinking game with the hope of beating a bigger game eventually (like 2 tables of $15-30 as a goal)

[/ QUOTE ]
I would focus on getting better and moving up limits. You can always add tables later. Playing too many tables now might even stunt your poker growth.

A good player who 2-tables the 5/10 6 max game will make more than someone who 4-tables 2/4.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:40 PM

I agree with sammyg, there's nothing wrong with playing only 2 tables. It'll allow you to think more about your game while playing, and you'll still increase your roll at a good rate.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(i feel the better player has a bigger advantage in NL compared to limit...but I dont handle the swings well).

[/ QUOTE ]

The swings are bigger in limit.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:44 PM

umm, in 3 years of playing serious poker (both limit and NL), I have never lost double (or triple) my buy-in to a game IN ONE HAND in limit poker (either from a mistake or a suckout).
I do know that the swings in limit can be just as tough, over a longer period of time....I just hated playing good solid poker for a long time, building my stack, and then loosing some/alot/all of it to either a bad play on my part, or a suckout on the river to a 2 outer...lol
Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Wow this is an easy question . . . move up, duh. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]