Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:47 PM

Default weak broadway\'s offsuit

JT, QT.. sometimes even KT. Late pos, one limper to you? I find myself confused at what to do. Limp, let the blinds in for a cheap flop against your weak hand? raise to isolate the one limper? Fold completely? If it gets multiway, i fold these hands, unless it's a big family pot for one bet (jic i flop the str8). but only one limper, i freeze up everytime. what's a good line for a hand like this?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: weak broadway\'s offsuit

Kind of depends on the limper and who's behind you yet to act. Is he a weak tighty? Do you think you can outplay him post flop?

I might raise KT to get it heads up against the right limper, but QT I don't like in this spot.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 AM

Weak broadways should be played for one bet in this position. After all, this is a game of POSITION. Denying yourself a look at a flop with JTu is acceptable against a raise. Not against calls on the button. Regardless of the number of callers, I want to see that flop.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 AM

I think it depends on how good a player you are postflop.

SSHe says call these hands, but obviously the book's preflop guidelines are designed to be used along with the postflop guidelines.

So the preflop guidelines make sense for you if you're capable of applying all the postflop concepts. This includes the more difficult sections, especially the section on playing overcards (you will often end up playing weak overcards when limping with these hands).

This also implies having least basic judgement about the table, e.g. be less inclined to limp if players on your left are aggressive preflop, more inclined if they're unusually passive, etc. Which in turn implies being able to read them a bit.

If you're not yet able to bring all this to the table, you may want to tighten up until you can. Since these hands are not hugely profitable at best, you're not giving up that much equity by just folding them most of the time until your postflop skills improve. (Perhaps the worst part of folding these is that playing only the best hands makes you too predictable - other players will have too much respect for your bets and raises. But if you are playing at microlimits, you usually don't have any trouble getting callers.)
Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 AM

RAZE