Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Half-Life, Doom, Halo and other things FPS

I played this hand about 3 months ago, and is from memory.

Now, for a little context: 3 months represents a very large chunk of my serious limit poker playing career, and thus I was a semi-noob when this took place, but still a decent player.

It was at paradise, and was either 1/2 or 2/4. I was going the granny bonus, and eventually moved from 1/2 to 2/4 at the site, but I dont know whether this hand was before or after the move.

The only read I can remember is the CO was a LAG. Probably along the lines of a 38/20/3 type guy.

(note: I typed it up as close to the standards as possible. There could be an error or two)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button Calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

(obviously, this was a wiff)

River: (6.00 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls,<font color="#CC3333"> Button raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Preflop/flop are painfully standard, IMO.

Thoughts on:

1) Turn check
2) River call
3) River 3-bet.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Half-Life, Doom, Halo and other things FPS

check-raising the turn is probably going to isolate one person and put him into call down mode. I think if you bet out you will get 3 calls. and then 3 calls again on river. 6bets as apposed to probably 3.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check-raising the turn is probably going to isolate one person and put him into call down mode. I think if you bet out you will get 3 calls. and then 3 calls again on river. 6bets as apposed to probably 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you note the player who acts immediately after me?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Unless BB whiffed on his own turn c/r, I think you're good here, so the 3-bet is nice.

-d
Old 04-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Turn check isn't terrible, although I favor a bet. I hate seeing this get checked through.

River 3-bet is pretty standard, I think. Button wouldn't check the turn with a set or two pair. BB could have anything.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:24 PM

I would have bet the turn. There's a good chance CO will raise and you will be able to get three bets in. Even though it sucks that he is shutting out the field, you still hate to have this checked through when he (and probably the other players) are paying you off with a huge range of hands, most of which are drawing completely dead or only to a split.

I have no problem with the river three-bet.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

turn: bleh, i would've bet it, but u make a good argument if u had a good read on CO.

river: Easy three bet. The fact that bb did not three bet and button did not bet the turn, make this one pretty easy. It kind of reminds me of the turn in a recent CDC AA hand where he three bet b/c one other person did not three bet and thus couldn't have him beat.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:04 PM

I almost always bet the turn in spots like this, but your play was read-based and that read did give you reason to check.

Interestingly, even though your play failed initially, the lack of turn action could have contributed to the number of bets that went in on the river. It's hard to say, though, because I don't really know what anyone has. (I guess possibly BB and Button both just made trips. But I think more likely BB has two pair and Button has trips.)

Anyway, I think going for overcalls initially is all right, though with the lack of strength your opponents have shown, it could just get folded behind you anyway (if, for instance, your remaining opponents both missed their gutshots or sets).

After Button raises, I like the 3-bet. Unless Button didn't raise two pair on the flop or bet it on the turn, in fear of the straight, I'm thinking your hand is best. I don't think BB is going for overcalls with a boat, and I don't really think Button would check behind with two pair on the turn, and I doubt he'd go for a deep slowplay with a set either, on this scary board. You never know, of course, but I think you're good here.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:06 PM

should i be raising these weak kings from MP if first in? I am simply wondering since as of right now i only raise KQo and KJs and up?

thx
Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should i be raising these weak kings from MP if first in? I am simply wondering since as of right now i only raise KQo and KJs and up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming most players are raising preflop here.

(Are you guys?)