Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Playing the player or too fancy?

Recently, there's been a situation for a possible play that I've seen. I'd like to know opinions as to if it would be a good tournament play or not. I haven't done it yet but have been tempted to try it.

A good tight player raises in EP 3xBB to 600,; it's folded round to me on the button and I call with AQ (making a mental note to beware of him holding AK if an ace hits), but decide to call with position on him. Suppose we both have 10k, with BB 200.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets 600 into pot of 1500. I call but remain cautious of him holding AK.

Turn comes: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets 1500 into pot of 2700. I know this player well, he is tight and a good player that would not raise with AJ in his EP. His second bet on the turn tells me that he has the ace. Becasue the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is on the board I don't think that he has the flush. The only possible holding that he would rasie with in EP to give him this is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] although this would be a loose raise from this player so I think it's very unlikely he has the flush. I have a strong read on him that he has AK; which has me beat, BUT because I know that he would be scared of me having a flush OR AJ for two pair I think that a raise of his bet 2500 more to 4000 would take the pot. He has 7300 and is still in good shape but calling would leave him with just 4800. If he re-raises me then I fold and if he calls I fold to a bet on the river unless I spike a miracle queen. I think that calling his bet on the turn is the absolute worst choice which I would not do. What can I beat that he would raise with in EP (he wouldn't raise there with A10)? One possible holding that he has is trip jacks which would beat my potential holding of AJ, but he may even fold these in fear of the flush. I don't think that he'd raise in EP with 7s.

I know that this would not be a play to make against an unknown or average player but against a good player that can get away from a hand what do you think? Is this a good case of playing the player not your cards or too risky a play to try?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Playing the player or too fancy?

I do not see any flaw in this logic, but beware the Kh.
I cant see him folding there