Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Need some advice....

What do you think is the right move…. Late in a Pokerroom multi table tourney, 42 people left out of 172 and I am below average in chip stack. I have T4100 with blinds at 200-400 when I hit the BB. Someone who just recently (less than 3 hands earlier) was placed on our table with T14,000 in chips just limps in from mid position. It is folded to me in the big blind with AKo. I pushed and my single opponent folded giving me T1000 (BB+SB+T400).

Do you think I should have slow played it a bit to try and gain more money after the flop hits or did I play it right by just pushing my advantage pre flop??
Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Need some advice....

You never slow play AKo, EVER.

Limping in late position with the short stack is a bad idea. What if the flop misses you completely? Are you folding to any bet? This is very weak/tight. I push in this position and steal the pot or hope to double up. Nothing wrong with stealing t1000. This gives you the opportunity to be a little picky about the next hand you play, and that play would be to push. You need to double up.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You never slow play AKo, EVER.

Limping in late position with the short stack is a bad idea. What if the flop misses you completely? Are you folding to any bet? This is very weak/tight. I push in this position and steal the pot or hope to double up. Nothing wrong with stealing t1000. This gives you the opportunity to be a little picky about the next hand you play, and that play would be to push. You need to double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say "never" slow play AK... but this hand is not a time too.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:04 PM

I would think that being shortstacked you would love to push it all in there with AK. If you do slowplay, get a caller and miss the flop, you may be forced to fold to a flop bet and miss the chance to hit an A or K on the turn or river.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:14 PM

I don't think it is wrong to raise to 1500 total (and call a push if he reraises you) and then push any flop if he calls. Of course that is a line with higher risk higher reward.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think is the right move….I pushed and my single opponent folded giving me T1000 (BB+SB+T400).

Do you think I should have slow played it a bit to try and gain more money after the flop hits or did I play it right by just pushing my advantage pre flop??

[/ QUOTE ]

Played correctly.