Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 08:49 PM

Default QQ turns a straight flush draw

Live 10/20 game. I am intersted in some comments on my turn checkraise.

Villain in this hand is a TAG who likes to try to push people off hands, especially in HU situations. He will pull plays like checkraising bottom pair, and underpair, or whiffed overcards. He has pushed me off the best hand at least once.

My table image is tight since I have been card dead. I've 1 good pot, but a few hands ago I folded an obvious TPTK with no redraws against a more obvious 3 of a kind Jacks in a huge pot. I was correct to fold, but several players commented that they could not believe that I folded, given that I had capped preflop and led the flop and turn.

I'm in the BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain open raises from MP and it's folded to me.
Since he is very aggressive preflop, his range of open-raising hands is pretty wide.

I smoothcall. I want to let him try to push me off my pair and then pop him on the big betting streets.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, villain bets, I call

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, Villain bets, I raise...
Old 10-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: QQ turns a straight flush draw

Name a hand that Villain raises pre-flop that you're both beating, and want to fold.

This is an easy call for me. If you are behind, you have excellent outs. If you are ahead and he is an intelligent player (which you seem to give him credit for), he will almost certainly fold.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:31 PM

Oh yeah, and 3 bet pre-flop. Your hand is much easier to play knowing whether he caps or calls.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 PM

I think this mus be raised preflop. Now I think we might push him off his hand on the turn with a checkraise. I would call the turn and bet the river to make sure we get the extra bet.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:06 AM

I agree with everybody else that CRing the turn with this board makes it too easy for him to get away from a worse hand, and he won't fold a better one.

I think the best line here would be to essentially mimic the way you played the hand earlier that you folded. 3-bet PF and keep leading - hopefully he will raise one of the big streets, giving you a guarenteed 2 bets from him where you might only get one if you were the one raising.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 AM

With some worse hands, such as a clubless AJ/AT, he might call, thinking he has more outs than he does. (Unless he has a clubless pocket underpair or is raising really light preflop, he should have some piece of this board.)

Anyway, I doubt you'll get Villain to fold anything you want him to, so one key question becomes whether or not the turn checkraise is for value. AK/AQ/KQ/KK/JJ/TT is 35 combos, and AJ/AT is only 24 combos. But you did say he was raising a wide range, so there are other hands you could be ahead of. And I think there's a decent chance he'll call with hands like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. One problem, though, is that there is a pretty good chance you're behind, and getting 3-bet wouldn't be much fun here.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM

I'm not sure that I agree with the turn c/r. You may be up against a made nut flush. I would have played the turn softer and turned up the heat if you make the straight flush
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 PM

raise preflop. i don't like your reasoning at all.

you're afraid to be pushed off the best hand, so you're reluctant to build a pot. yet you have a premium holding, and you know villain will invest extra bets on later streets trying to push you around. charge him now.

as you played it, i don't like the turn c/r... seems to me there's a strong chance you're ahead and have missed bets before the turn. if you're behind you're getting called down, unless this guy likes to make big folds as much as he likes to try to make other people make them.

you're not pushing him off a K. what else do you want to fold, here?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 PM

-deleted-