Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 02:27 AM

Default River bluff hand for J_V

Here's one from tonight. 50/100 online.

I open-raise from the hi-jack with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The Button, a good aggressive player who could be raising fairly light here on a resteal, 3-bets. FWIW, Button had recently seen me call down with ace high against him in his big blind against my small and win the pot. Blinds fold.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check and call.

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check and call.

River is an ace, I bet.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: River bluff hand for J_V

even against floaters, calling the flop doesnt make any sense to me unless you were hoping to cr bluff on the turn, which is not a very good line either. when you pick up your OESD, the perfect card to semibluff at, you just call. not semibluffing is fine of course, but i dont think its correct to call the flop with 8high when you dont have a plan to cr the turn with perfect opportunity. then you lead the river and expect him to fold a pair? he may even call you down with KQ here the way youve played your hand.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:41 AM

I have two backdoor draws on the flop and I think my pair outs should be good 3/4 of the time or so. I think I'll get a free river card a fair amount of the time if he's determined that I'm hellbent on showing down my hand. I'm also not real eager to laydown for one bet against an opponent who is going to have position on me the whole night.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:57 AM

i understand what your thinking is, and figured thats what it was when you called the flop, but i still dont think its the right call.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 PM

i like this sort of play very deceptive. at first i thought the flop call was wacky but you give good defense to it. on the turn who knows what will happen if you c/r, maybe he calls down with ace high or 3 bets or whatever expensive. on the river with his ace high or whatever he has to think "what could he have cold called the turn with and lead into me on the river"... there are no draws he can't put you on 87 he has to fold
Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 PM

I love it and play it the same, nice hand.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 02-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Were you planning to bet the river no matter what?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:59 PM

The only thing he folds here are KQ KJ and it's questionable if he bets the turn with those, don't forget part of your logic in your flop call was sometimes you'll get a free card.

Pairs just aren't folding because players will suspect a passive 9x too often. You'll sometimes run into the player good enough to know you wouldn't play 9x like that either because they know you'd be more aggressive or they know you aren't silly enough to bet the river, these players are rare and i'd want a better read than good aggressive player to make this play.

... flop call is standard even without the 'i can't fold for one bet reason'. Players who question it should play more SH.

OT: I often find myself bluffing when i don't want to fold. Due to the river card making it even more likely i'm beat i'd usually try to find some quick logic to justify a bet. In this case 'well he may fold pocket pairs!' then i'd stop thinking and bet.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 PM

jay what about ace high? isn't that what this play is really directed againsT? you don't make a single mention of it
Old 02-21-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about ace high?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
River is an ace, I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? - i may be wrong, it's nearly 4am and i'm finishing my 5th red bull. Did i misread?