Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Default mastering NLHE

So i ordered it on overstock.com about a week ago, and it said "realease date 5/1" when i checked status. on sunday, 5/1, i checked to see if it had shipped yet, and it said,

"This title has not been released yet. The release date is 05/02/2005. We will ship it as soon as it is released."

now each day when i check status at overstock, it says that the book will be released whatever tomorrows date is. anyone else order this from overstock, or anywhere else and have problems, or are they just playing a joke on me?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: mastering NLHE

I'm holding the book right now. It has been released.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm holding the book right now. It has been released.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is it? Would you recommend it?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 PM

I just started reading it today, and it will take me a few weeks to read it. (I read slow, and on the bus.) I'm also not a great person to ask, since I have almost zero NL cash experience, and have never read (in a serious way) any NL books. One of my 2005 poker resolutions is to study the baby NL game so I can play those games when my regular limit game fails to get off the ground.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:33 PM

Yea, the pushing back one day each day is driving me insane. Each day I ask customer support, and they assure me it's tomorrow.

Oh well.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Support your local forum and you get prompt delivery. Mine showed up last week, I'm not impressed but I am not finished.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mine showed up last week, I'm not impressed but I am not finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of caliber players, or games is it mainly geared for? also, is there much material on SH games? i have a decent amount of SH limit experience, but very little NL.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:57 AM

I have read through chapter 5 so far.

I am an experienced winning 15/30 limit player. I rarely play NL online but have played the friendly very small stakes home game where I do pretty well.

I like that the book is geared towards what I'm looking for, the $1/$2, $2/$3 100 or 200 max buy in games.

I haven't really read anything that I haven't figured out on my own through deduction.

A lot of the stuff I knew from limit such as pot odds and position.

I found it weird that they say at a table that is slow, people often tighten up. I find this opposite if we look at online poker sites such as pacific where it's one table and it's slow. Often these players and looser than many of the faster poker sites. Perhaps we are talking apples and oranges.

They also say an example on page 39 if we are in the SB with 97o and the flop comes A-7-7 rainbow we could be in big trouble. We would call on flop, but if there is adverse betting, a fold is indicated. And unless turn is favorable, you shouldn't continue betting with the hand.

How are we betting if they say we will likely call on the flop? What are we behind to? Why wouldn't we call them down unless bets get out of control?

The preflop betting section was somewhat informative. (Ch. 4 pg. 42)

The position chapter was pretty boring and repeative it seemed.

I was going to read a chapter a day but don't find the book as interesting or as profound as I had hoped.

I found SSH even after a lot of limit play and knowledge to be more interesting and better examples explained.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They also say an example on page 39 if we are in the SB with 97o and the flop comes A-7-7 rainbow we could be in big trouble. We would call on flop, but if there is adverse betting, a fold is indicated. And unless turn is favorable, you shouldn't continue betting with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am waiting for this book to be shipped to me. In any case, I don't think I can agree with the advice as you put it. If I were in the SB, I would lead with this hand and call a raise. The most likely hands you will be up against are 76s and 87s, both of which you beat. You are only dominated by A7s. Lots of people check flopped trips, but I think that's usually a mistake unless you are only in a 2 or 3-way pot, in which check-raise would be an acceptable play if you were sure somebody would bet.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:11 AM

Hi all. Just a couple comments. The book is geared toward players with some limit HE experience who are looking to get into the small NL ring games.

The style we advocate is straightforward and on the conservative side, but we do advocate strong aggression in many situations.

You won't find anything earth shattering in the book. It's not that kind of book. It was written to be an easy to read guide for these fixed buy-in, small blind (up to $5-$10) games.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Scott Harker
Co-author, Mastering No-Limit Hold'em