Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Give them another chance to fold?

I get KK or AA push preflop and get called by one or more players of various stack sizes. They either show me a smaller pair, big unsuited ace, or suited ace. I LOVE this action, RIGHT?

So far in about two dozen tournaments, I eventually get busted out before the money when the above scenario happens (rivered most of the time).

So my question is this: in the long run, would I be better of making a standard raise preflop and then moving in on the flop so as to give them another chance to fold?

Thanks

Fishlips
Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Give them another chance to fold?

Either the answer is obvious and I'm missing it, OR it's debatable. I feel, in a tournament setting, it is better to make a big raise (but not all in) preflop and then make a move on the flop.

Fishlips
Old 06-13-2005, 12:06 AM

I can definitely relate to this. There is no one way to play this. Analyze your opponents and make the best decision from there. If youre getting all in with a 2 to 1 or 5-1 advantage like you are then keep playing the same way. You cant ask for more. Just keep playing.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:09 AM

Um. Well. It all depends on the situation.

If you have 6BB, push PF.
If your sure your getting a caller, push PF.

All the rest of the time, I wouldn't advise pushing PF. If you post a situation or hand, it will be alot easier to help you.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 PM

The latest situation occurred in the middle of a Party freefoll no limit holdem tourney.

Blinds were 200/400. 10 players.
I was second biggest stack with about 11,000.
I pick up KK in the Cutoff.
UTG+1 (chip leader with about 13000) makes it 3000 to go.
Folded to me.
I push all in.
Folded to UTG+1 who calls.

UTG+1 turns over AQ suited in clubs. I have the K of clubs.

Flop comes rags with two clubs, he hits the flush on the river. Boo Hoo.

Perhaps if I just called his preflop raise, and then moved in on the flop, he would have released.

I'd rather win 30% of my stack with a 0% chance of busting out of a tourney, than to double up with a 20% chance of busting out.

Fishlips
Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 PM

I dont like that move when you have that kind of stack. Call his raise maybe even re raise a good ammount. The push after the flop. Make him make the bad play of calling on a draw because your going to win that more times than none. Also, if you want to submit a bad beat try www.riveredagain.com
Old 06-13-2005, 03:44 PM

I don't necessarily consider this a 'bad beat'. I think it's more a tactical issue. Winning the pot is the current goal, not busting out has to be a goal also.

I don't necessarily want him calling an all-in bet on the flop. I don't want him calling my all-in bet preflop either. The pot is big enough that I'd like to win it without a showdown; which is why I pushed preflop. Or should I be wanting those calls? It seems like there's a balancing act between surviving, and accumulating chips. Where's the line I have to walk?

Fishlips
Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like that move when you have that kind of stack. Call his raise maybe even re raise a good ammount. The push after the flop. Make him make the bad play of calling on a draw because your going to win that more times than none. Also, if you want to submit a bad beat try www.riveredagain.com

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant believe they have a website set up for bad beats. we should make that a sticky in every forum.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM

You always want to get your chips in the pot when you are ahead. That is the goal. If you are a 60% or better favorite and can get a call, then do it. If you are drawn out on, that is just bad luck. In the example you gave, you are way ahead of pretty much any hand. The only hand you really have to worry about is AA. I say you made the right call, just the cards didn't work out for you in the end. Anytime I get a 60% or more odds, I am going to do whatever I can to get my chips in the pot with a call. Others may play tighter, thats not my style.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:26 PM

You want them to do this.
If you can get all the money in heads up PF w/ AA or KK then you should be happy.
You do NOT want to give him another opportunity to fold. That's ridiculous.
It's a bad beat. It's OK. They happen.