Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 PM

Default People talking sh*t to/about Canadians

I'm not Canadian, but I'm getting sick of people responding to posts by Canadians with comments like, of "Shut up, you are Canadian," or "Canadians have no right to criticize America." There are a small number of Canadians who say some ignorantly anti-American things, but responding to them with anti-Canadians statements is just as bad.

All in all I think Canada is a pretty good neighbor and most of the Canadians that I have met are nice people. I don't see why some people seem so bent on talking sh*t about Canada
Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: People talking sh*t to/about Canadians

Any examples?

Without Canada's number one export: Comedians!

Hollywood would be broke........
Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 AM

The 1st guy who responded to this thread is a typical example: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

That's all I can come up with off of the top of my head, but I have seen many similar posts in the politics tthread in the past.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 AM

Default People Talking Sh*t to Americans

The very first post on your link was a Canuck saying the following words to an American:

"Christ on a bike, give it a rest. Between all the idiotic junk about the constitution and America The Great in the pregame and all this revolting garbage now, I am being forced to mute this ridiculous telecast until the godamn game comes on. Patriotism orgies are sickening and they're why half the world despises America and the rest just pities it."

Since it was a Canuck that first made this comment to an American, you should you re-title this post to be:
"People talking sh*t to Americans"
Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: People Talking Sh*t to Americans

[ QUOTE ]
Since it was a Canuck that first made this comment to an American, you should you re-title this post to be:
"People talking sh*t to Americans"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 AM

People saying stupid things about America is just as bad, but that not the point I am trying to make. Maybe that should be a separate thread. My point is that regardless of what a person says, it is ignorant to respond to them by attacking their country of origin. If someone says something stupid, then criticize the statement for the stupidity.

I'm not trying to defend what the Canadian guy said in the Super Bowl thread. I didn't even really read what he said. But regardless of what he said, the fact that he is from Canada does not need to be mentioned. If people disagree with what he is saying, then they should attack what he is saying, not the fact that he is Canadian.

And the post that I linked to is probably not the best example. I can recall several instances in the past where a Canadian would make a perfectly reasonable post and someone would respond with some ignorant slur against Canada.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:52 AM

Those are just crazed liberals still mad about all the troops Canada sent to Vietnam.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 AM

The reason people attacked him for being Canadian is because he sat there bashing OUR (American) Super Bowl pregame show, honoring OUR people. If he didn't wanna see it, he could turn the [censored] channel, but instead he makes a post titled something like "Could this jingoistic, patriotic BS be more disgusting?"

My reply - who gives a rat's ass what he thinks, he's Canadian, and that's really the only reason he had for not liking it. He doesn't NEED to like it, but for cryin' out loud, when you say something like "This is the reason half the world hates America and the rest just pity them", you're asking for it, ESPECIALLY if you're Canadian. You know - America, Jr.

He loves his country (I assume), and dammit, I - and many, many others - love mine.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:00 AM

I see very little of this Canadian vs. American hostility that you speak of in the poker room. At my B&M about half of the players are Canadian and the other half are from the States. Perhaps poker could bring peace to the rest of the world…lol.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If people disagree with what he is saying, then they should attack what he is saying, not the fact that he is Canadian.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't attack America and expect to not have your own country made fun of. Besides, your talking about OOT. Do you really expect 100% civil and logical arguements?