Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 01:37 AM

Default Worse than merely a bad run....

...is when you're on a bad run and in quick succession (over a few minutes) a wave of junk hands that you correctly fold turn into missed straights, boats and quads. In conjunction with premium hands missing and bad beats, such an anomoly drives me insane. The effect is reinforced when, against all tempation, another marginal hand is correctly folded but comes through on the river. The one positive side is that the absurdity and quick punishment I suffer help me to walk away after losing only 25 bets.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Worse than merely a bad run....

I couldn't agree more. It always amazes me to sit there and watch that happen .... I had a day like that the other day: a day where pocket queens couldn't beat an offsuit 10,3 - where trips would lose to a river card straight - where a 9/3 would have been a boat, where an 8 would have been quads - but then that's poker, and I've resolved not to complain about it, even about those players who hold strange things that all the books say not to hold. It's part of it - and if I would have left when i was ahead I probably would have felt better about it in the end - but since I like the idea of it all being "one long poker game", that excuses that.
My only consolation is to watch how others' stacks who seem to be miraculously winning every hand will also shrink if they keep playing long enough. Or so it seems.

Sometimes it's more like torture than anything else - but it's all made up for when the cards land like you want them to, all your decisions are right, etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...is when you're on a bad run and in quick succession (over a few minutes) a wave of junk hands that you correctly fold turn into missed straights, boats and quads. In conjunction with premium hands missing and bad beats, such an anomoly drives me insane. The effect is reinforced when, against all tempation, another marginal hand is correctly folded but comes through on the river. The one positive side is that the absurdity and quick punishment I suffer help me to walk away after losing only 25 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is truly a horrible post. Enjoy living your life in poker mediocrity as long as you have this attitude.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 PM

eh? I think you misunderstand my post (and you're falsely righteous, too). Fortunately, the majority of my sessions are profitable. I was just in a strange mood because the anomolies I discussed were almost enough to make me supersticious; which is the effect I meant to point out.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 PM

Yea, you mention supersitious play and stop losses. Both telltale signs of an inexperienced player. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:43 PM

This is like seeing the way too loose player with a mountain of chips in front of him. You got the same run of cards this player gets. Except you fold the crap. He plays it. And for him this reinforces the notion that good cards don't win - you have to play bad cards to win. Hog wash of course.

I think you should have kept right on playing with the complete understanding of what's happening. It's good practice playing when there are obstacles to overcome and it's far easier to maintain your A-game when you have a full and complete understanding of the monsters that are nipping at your heels.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:11 AM

Busterstacks is exhibiting that other sign of a certain sort of player: the one who criticizes all other players, has feelings of false superiority and bitterly leaves the table when, though better player that he is, he loses it all and has to leave the table, cursing under his breath such things as: "...yea, inexperienced players, yea, mediocre jerks,....yea, yea, yea"
Old 12-17-2004, 12:23 AM

No. I play a disciplined game regardless of swings. Sometimes I lose money, as we all do. I'm sorry you misinterpret that as being self-righteous, or arrogant, but it is simply the only way for a winning player to play. If you are still around here in 6 months and have made progress in your game, revisit this post and you will understand exactly what I am talking about. We were all inexperienced at one time, and had these thoughts. If you want to move forward, instead of looking at my "attitude", look at the message I'm trying to deliver. I don't berate other players at the table, and I certainly don't believe in "bad beats" or make posts about wishing i had stayed in a hand when a fold was the correct move. It's up to you how far you advance as a player, but nonsense like this will assure it isn't far.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Busterstacks is exhibiting that other sign of a certain sort of player: the one who criticizes all other players, has feelings of false superiority and bitterly leaves the table when, though better player that he is, he loses it all and has to leave the table, cursing under his breath such things as: "...yea, inexperienced players, yea, mediocre jerks,....yea, yea, yea"

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever played with him, or are you just talking out of your ass?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:48 AM

Sorry, but I don't see how you know so much about me. Have you read any other posts of mine? To merely remark about the strange false-patterns of poker and their psychological impact, whether positive or negative, would seem to be the point of this forum.

You are clearly desperate to berate someone for a "bad beat" post, but it is equally clear that I complained about no particular hand. I even thought the content of my post was humorous, but if I failed to make you laugh then I must fault myself as a bad writer and poor stylist. The strange and improbable short term trends of poker do have a psychological effect on me. I think it's ok to bring it up in a psychology forum, and I get real tired of people who hide on the internet from their life while playing make believe behind an act of bombast and ridicule. Are you mad at your boss or your spouse?