Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Button

1/2 NL Live Game

Two loose and bad EP limpers to me. I'm on the button and raise to $25 (on the large side of standard open for this game) with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . Blinds fold and just the first bad EP limper calls. This guy could really have anything to call. I have $400 behind and he has me covered.

Villian had sucked out on me pretty big about 1.5 hrs ago hitting a straight on me on the river. I did not pay him off but he showed me his hand anyways. Villian will call with draws (with or without odds to do so as he is down a couple buy ins and chasing more than normal) but is not a complete calling station. He can lay down if he thinks he's beat and/or has nothing. Villian does not seem tricky or aggro - passive if anything. I have a TAG image at the table, have shown down winning hands, and my bets have been respected.

Flops comes:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian checks. I bet $30. Villian calls.

Turn:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Villian checks. I bet $45. Comments to this point?

-------

What should my plan be for the river? Continue the bluff? If so with which cards? Surrender? What size bet can I make given different river cards. Remember we are both fairly deep here.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Button

Play tight against loose opponents. I don't mind stealing when it's folded around, but when you've got two VERY LOOSE opponents in there with you, don't steal.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Opponents are loose but not VERY loose - just bad in general though. Key thing here is that they respect my raises and bets.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:21 PM

If they respect your bets and raises then this guy would have folded by now if he missed the flop. You are beaten. He may be a bad opponent but he also may have called with any Q or J which means that your hand sucks here and he's going to play his all the way down.
I don't care how bad the players are here, raising with 69 and continuing to push through three betting rounds makes me believe that you were the bad player in this case. Seems like you put him on no cards at all and just decided that he was weak. I'm not the best player in the world but I really think this was a terrible hand for you.
Just my .02
-G
Old 02-27-2005, 08:25 PM

From my original post:

"Villian will call with draws (with or without odds to do so as he is down a couple buy ins and chasing more than normal) but is not a complete calling station"

This includes inside straight draws. There are plenty of draws he could be chasing on the flop and turn.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:33 PM

Is your opponent capable of slowplaying the queen? In any case, bluffing the flop, turn, and river is rarely a winning play. If they call down two big bets, you pretty much have to shut it down.

It seems to me like you might have been starting to tilt abit. Wait for a better spot, and sting the bad players. (And I'm not saying just wait for AA-99 etc etc...) With bad players, follow that old NL poker maxim: get your money into the middle with the best of it. Eventually they will pay you off.

If I were to critique your play specifically, it would be that you need something better to raise on the button. Offsuit three gapper is not very likely to hit the flop... I realize that you're making a play, but even so, you need something better to start with make such a play. In fact, if I were going to make such a play with 69o, it would have to be against TIGHTER opponents, not looser.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:03 PM

It was an offsuit TWO gapper!
Old 02-27-2005, 10:34 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I need to get more sleep.