Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Default small pair strategy

I've been using the following strategy with some success against straightforward players. If have a low pair and a standard tight player open raises with me next to act, then I'll 3 bet in the hope of getting the pot heads up. If my open raiser just calls my 3 bet then I can be fairly sure he's got 2 high cards (maybe a slightly higher pocket pair). If he caps, then I proceed with caution, expecting a higher pocket pair, but still hope he's got A K. If the flop then comes ragged and low, I'll try bet him off, if raised I act with caution.

Basically the odds are that the open raiser is raising with 2 high cards more often than a higher pair and getting the pot heads up will allow me to win it more often than not. SSH recommends only calling with pairs 8 and lower, but do you think the above could be a +EV strategy?

edit: I should also mention I only try this at tight tables where I think there is a good chance of everyone folding behind me.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: small pair strategy

depends on the game, that is if you know u can get it heads up and the type of opponent. i think this is a good strategy in 6 max games. read sshe if u havent