Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Big Hand

Here is an example of how my run has been latlely: I am in late position with KQ off suit. I call the big blind, (2-4) limit at the Monte Carlo. The button folds and the small blind calls. Three of us see the flop of J Q of spades and Q of diamonds. I check the SB bets the BB folds I raise, SB calls. The turn is a blank 4 of hearts. I bet, SB calls, the river is the K of spades. Giving me a Queens full house, of Kings, I bet, SB raises, I re-reaise, and he calls, just calls!! He flips over A 10 of spades, and he didnt even know he had the RF! The dealer had to inform him that he had the Royal, is there any way I can assume I am beat in that situation???
Old 07-19-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Big Hand

you shoulda raised preflop
Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 AM

A few things:

1. Please don't post bad beat stories unless the bad beat is incidental to a genuine strategy question.

2. Post your hands in a clearer format if you would like good responses. For example, it seems you are check-raising the flop here though you are in last position.

3. With that said, this hand is a train wreck. Not raising pre-flop is a massive mistake. Your hand rates to be the best here against the three random hands behind you, and you do not want to allow anyone in cheaply. Raising also will encourage the button to fold and assure your position.

To be brutally honest, there are two things I always look for when I first sit down at a table in order to determine whether or not the game will be profitable:

1. Players complaining about bad beats.

2. Players limping first-in to the pot in late position.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there any way I can assume I am beat in that situation???

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Of course not. Raise and reraise for all you're worth. But you already knew this, didn't you?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Or at least make sure it's actually a bad beat and not a hand the opponent played fine (except preflop where apparently this table is full of weaklings).
Old 07-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Old 07-19-2005, 12:17 PM

hahahahahaha
Old 07-19-2005, 12:21 PM

It's a shocker, and I wouldn't expect it. But, looking back, it would be wrong to assume you would win. I could see someone with knowledge of his draw betting the way he did through the turn (not capping on the river was obviously wrong). Again, I would have been very comfortable on the end with your hand.