Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 03:21 AM

Default fights

So I'm drunk. On my way home tonight, some guy I didn't know at all yells something insulting at me, then immediatly yells something insulting about being a puss for not fighting him for the first insulting thing he said. I have backed down very rarely from fights in my life. However, I'm getting older and starting to think this kind of this is stupid bullshit. But after his second round of insults, I, were it not for my more level headed friends, would have tried to kick his ass. Am I a moron? Am I a pussy? Am I an adult? Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: fights

fighting is dumb
Old 03-05-2005, 03:26 AM

Why? (I'm not being an ass here, I swear)
Old 03-05-2005, 03:29 AM

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would have loved to kick that guy's ass. And that thought makes me dislike myself. However, the thought of what I did, which was walking away, also makes me dislike myself. Someone say something profound to me which helps my belief system. You're all intelligent people, I know it's in you. So give it a shot.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:30 AM

Because fighting doesn't accomplish anything and the potential negative consequences are high (legal, financial, medical, etc.).
Old 03-05-2005, 03:36 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Because fighting doesn't accomplish anything and the potential negative consequences are high (legal, financial, medical, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is about as logical of a response as you'll receive. There are certainly situations that merit coming to blows, but silly machismo over some goof talking [censored] is not one.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It accomplishes kicking someone's ass which makes you feel better and him feel worse.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 AM

Thanks for the response, I like what you have to say. However, let me add a few things.

1) Fighting does have some positive consequences. For example, beating the [censored] out of someone you hate really does make you feel better about yourself, at least temporarily.

2) Not fighting does have negative consequences, in that you feel less significant in being unable to defend yourself physically. It basically reduces a dimension of your worth. (IE I am strong mentally, I am strong emotionally, but apparently I am not strong physically). And I think we all know that your self perception is very important.

3) I definitely agree that the possible negative consequences of a fight are not nearly worth the possible positive consequences. But what are the chances that you get sued for a drunken street fight? EV calculation anyone?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:39 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Plus, passing up a fight to come home drunk and register a 2+2 account is very +EV.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm drunk. On my way home tonight, some guy I didn't know at all yells something insulting at me, then immediatly yells something insulting about being a puss for not fighting him for the first insulting thing he said. I have backed down very rarely from fights in my life. However, I'm getting older and starting to think this kind of this is stupid bullshit. But after his second round of insults, I, were it not for my more level headed friends, would have tried to kick his ass. Am I a moron? Am I a pussy? Am I an adult? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar situation a while back and acted the same. I decided it was just being an adult and not some [censored] white trash piece of [censored] loser who still thinks and acts like he is in highschool.

There is a time and place to kick someone's ass but that wasn't one of them.