Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Metagame -- opponent messed with my had by telling the following story

Cross post from SS... the story is more interesting than the hand I think. What do people think about this move? Do any of you do stuff like this?

Live 10/20 - 9 handed (tulalip)

UTG (TAG) calls, 3 callers, SB folds, I check in the BB w/T3o.

Flop: JJ2

UTG says, "check" before I act. I say, "hold on... check".. it checks around.

Turn: T
UTG says, "check" before I act. I say, "hold on... no free checking" and bet. UTG calls. everyone else folds.

River: 2

I bet. UTG quickly raises. I think for about 5 seconds and say, "Nice hand" and muck. (This was my first muck to a river raise during the session.)

UTG, who I've been chatting with during play about a lot of stuff, then says, "Have you seen Preditor?". This starts off just like any other conversation we have had at the table.

I say, "Ya."

He says, "Have you seen the extra features on the DVD?"

"No."

He continues, "Well, there is a sceene where Jesse Ventura and Arnold are going to wardrobe to get fitted. Part of the fitting involves having their bicepts measured. Arnold tells the fitter to tell Jesse that whatever Jesse's measturement comes out to be, to tell Jesse that his bicepts are 2" larger than Arnolds."

"Upon hearing this, Jesse does his pro-wrester thing..." UTG then flexes and immitates Jesse Ventura, "Jesse's bicepts are bigger than Arnolds... Oh ya." UTG then continues, "Of course, Arnold knows his are bigger."

"Later, Jesse and Arnold are working out in the gym. Jesse asks if they want to measure bicepts. And then Arnold says, " and UTG then taps his finger on his head and immitates Arnold, "It's all about the mind games."

I just laughed.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Metagame -- opponent messed with my had by telling the following s

Someone told me when that film came out that Arnold was quoted as saying that his trips to the gym with Ventura were the most intense workouts of his life.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 AM

tell him next time he angle shoots you are going to sock him in the nads with your 2" biceps.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:28 PM

And the next time you bet 103o on JJ2 10 2 board...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the next time you bet 103o on JJ2 10 2 board...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was betting for value v.s. ace high. My read on him was that he would call but wasn't agressive enough to raise on the river with anything I beat, so I folded.

However, after the story, I think that there is a good chance that he did just that.

In a similar hand later in the session, I checked to him on the river and called his bet... he had A high and 2 pair onthe board. I dragged the pot with a 2 pair that was better than the board.