Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Default $200K empire short stack hand for public consumption and discussion

This is from hour 2 in the empire $200K. I had been floundering the whole hour and was on life support. Few questions on this hand.
1) Should I bet the flop 2nd to act of 3 with bottom pair and runner flush draw?
2) Should I call this bet on turn with bottom pair legit flush draw, push or fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t990)
UTG (t1267)
UTG+1 (t2330)
UTG+2 (t1650)
MP1 (t1815)
MP2 (t5030)
MP3 (t1393)
CO (t4030)
Button (t8735)
SB (t4625)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t600) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Hero folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t900

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. SB wins t900. </font>

~Justin
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: $200K empire short stack hand for public consumption and discussion

Interesting hand.

I don't think I bet the flop (which if I did would be pushing,) I'm too scared someone will call me with perhaps a K or T, especially with MP2 to act behind you.

On the turn is tricky. I don't think I can call here and leave 600 chips in my stack. I'm tempted to push but by pushing I want to have a good shot at SB folding. He'll have to call 690 to win 1590 so if he has any decent piece I doubt he's folding.

Basically, I think I'd play it the same way as you, but not feel good about it. Still, with 990 chips, you can double up and be at 10xbb and take things from there. How close were the blinds to moving up again?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:45 PM

i'd push the flop. it's sort of a semi-bluff. if you get called, you probably have 5 outs (+1.5 for the backdoor).

the turn is tough. i think i'd call and then plan on folding to a river push. you have a lot of outs and some showdown equity if the SB checks the river to you.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: $200K empire short stack hand for public consumption and discussio

Not sure about how long it was till next level. The more I think about the more I think I should have called the turn and taken a "half priced" card rather than folding because I have no folding equity. I was essentially card dead the whole tourney and this little guy is what bothers me most. The difference between 790 and 490 is not atronomical with 200 as the BB so the more I think about it I should have taken my 15 or so outs on the river and tried to hit for a decent sized pot. I would also be getting some implied odds as villian would likely have to call 490 if I hit river, and may very well check even if I miss if he was on a busted draw.
~Justin
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Push the turn.

You've almost got the odds you need if you're behind and you might be winning. Add in the fact that people occasionally make ridiculous folds when they're caught bluffing and the move is a clear winner IMHO.

Just calling the turn cripples you if you're lucky enough to just check it down on the river and lose. If you hit your flush or another 6, you may not get paid. And, you might fold the best hand on the river if he pushes at you.

Pushing is much better than calling as I see it.

Later,
Che
Old 03-29-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: $200K empire short stack hand for public consumption and discussio

I agree with Che; given that the flop was checked around you should raise all-in on the turn. The key point is that you could easily have a better hand than the bettor, and if MP2 can beat your 6, he will likely fold if you push (fearing a reraise from SB). Also, of course, you have lots of outs when you are called by a better hand. I think folding here was a big mistake.

As for the flop play, I would have pushed right there. There's no particular reason to put either of your opponents on a king. One of them might have a ten, and would probably call you with it, but that's a risk you have to take.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 PM

i like this line. i think i was underestimating the FE you'd have and the horribleness of getting bluffed out on the river.