Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Definition of small, medium and large pots

I am reading The Theory of Poker, and within, Skalnsky mentions many times how to play in "small" pots vs. "large" pots. My question is simply how do most players define small vs. large pots? I play mostly Hold 'Em, hence do players define a small pot as up to say 3 big bets, medium up to 6 and large thereafter (this is only an example should these numbers not be very accurate). Also, would the number of players at the table or in the given hand itself affect what would be considered a small vs. large pot. Any kind of rough guideline would be useful. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2003, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Definition of small, medium and large pots

If I understand it correct, it is referring to the number of players that will be contesting the pot. If you have 6-7 callers pre-flop it is going to be considered a large pot. In a 1-3 game it will only have $6-$7 pre-flop it would be a large pot. Vice versa if you only have 2-3 callers it will indicate how to play against a small pot. I have only read thru it one time so need to read it again.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Definition of small, medium and large pots

Consider this:

A "small pot" is one that the 2nd best hand is probably NOT getting the right odds to call the best hand. Thus, when you have the best hand there is some temptation to slow-play or trap in the hopes the 2nd best hand invests in this pot. There is a premium on the ability to recognize 2nd best situations, thus allow you to fold.

A "large pot" is one that the 2nd best hand is routinely getting the right odds to call. Thus, any reasonable hand should get to the show down. There is a temptation to play your marginal hands (those that may be 2nd best) strongly in the hopes that lessor hands give up hope and fold (but also so slightly better hands give up). There is a premium on the ability to known who is going to bet and on knowing who has low betting standards.

A "medium pot" is one where SOME 2nd best hands are getting the right odds to call. Medium pots are the most difficult to play. There is a premium on hand reading.

The number of players in the pot is a different sort of critieria than the size of the pot, although big pots often involve several players.

- Louie