Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Another funky limp re-raise

We've talked about this move on here, but my guess is that not too many people try to pull it off. Maybe I'm wrong. In any case, if people do pull this move, or think about it, let me know what the heck I'm supposed to do on this river and how I have done so far.

Villain is terrible. Over aggro. 55/13. Loves to overbet. He's bet 10x the pot at least 4 times in the last few orbits. He's also chased some ridiculous hands, although not on the river. Things like backdoor flush draws on the flop, though. So, how terrible was each and every street and what the heck do I do on the river? I'd say it is raise or fold, huh?

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Villain limps UTG, I limp, CO limps, BN folds, SB raises to $4.5, BB folds, Villain calls, I re-raise to $20, SB folds, Villain calls.

Already sucks?

Flop:($45) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero bets $30, Villain calls.

Too little?

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Second barrel?

River:($105) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets $15, Hero...?

Pretty weak, right? But I don't have much left. Any chance I move him off whatever he has?

Edit: Everyone has $100. Sorry, converter messed up bad and wrote it by hand. Forgot the stacks.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Another funky limp re-raise

You've decided to make a move. I don't necessarily agree with picking this spot, but you have, so looking at the flop, onward, you have to play strong. The 2/3 pot bet is ok if that's your standard bet. I think you need to fire the second barrel on the turn. I don't know what stacks you're playing with, but you might even considering a sizable overbet on the turn since that's the only way you're winning here.

What I'm saying is either:
A) Make the move on the turn to take this pot down
B) Check and check/fold the river
C) Check and make the above move on the river, but I think this is worse than option A

If I got mixed up in this hand, I'd probably try A, but I don't know, it's not exactly a profitable spot you're in here.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 PM

This is not the type of player to try this against IMO. You're read is that he's loose aggressive and loves to chase, it would seem you would prefer someone who is tight passive and loves to fold. Am I wrong?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:31 PM

Well I wasn't really making the move against the UTG limper, I was making the move against the SB raiser.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 PM

Ok that makes alot more sense. Well with the stacks involved I think it's either push the turn or fold the river, not sure which is better. If villian is on any kind of draw or has any kind of real hand I would expect him to call a push on the turn, which would be fine if you had any kind of hand but 6 high I don't know. I don't think he's folding for $35 more on the river either. That's just an ugly spot to be in. JMO
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's just an ugly spot to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. That's why I need help. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not the type of player to try this against IMO. You're read is that he's loose aggressive and loves to chase, it would seem you would prefer someone who is tight passive and loves to fold. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

No this is completely right, you've isolated a stupid LAG here, your making moves where you should be playing ABC.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No this is completely right, you've isolated a stupid LAG here, your making moves where you should be playing ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well preflop was meant to just take it down, not to 'isolate the LAG'. Are you saying that is just a bad plan in general? I could certainly buy that. But the plan was NOT to isolate anybody (except perhaps the preflop raiser, who I doubted had a big hand and would most likely c/f most flops). If you're not saying my plan was boneheaded to start with, are you saying I should just be checking and folding postflop?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:17 PM

THIS SUCKS!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
THIS SUCKS!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your constructive criticism. Sounds like someone needs to get outta the kiddie pool. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Or, more likely, I need to grow a brain.