Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Concerned about a Friend-What to Do

I have a friend who has a gambling problem. He is a pretty good player but has no concept of money management. He is in school and is supporting himself with student loans. However, he uses his loan money to keep playing. He has lost a lot of money in the last nine months and is also in some serious debt. I have told him numerous times to get a job but he refuses to do so. He has a low work ethic. I am very worried about him, because of all this debt and the fact that he doesn't realize how screwed he is. What should I do? I told him he should quit or at the least get a debt counselor but he sees gambling as the only solution to his problem. I don't think his parents know the full situation and would obviously be concerned.

Overall, I am concerned for him and I want him to set things straight. Does he need to hit complete bottom for this to set in? What should I do here? Please help. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Concerned about a Friend-What to Do

now i will answer since its in the right forum [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

like most addictions the person usually has to hit rock bottom before they climb out. of course this is if he doesn't get any help and he continues his own self-destructive path.

get him some help, or at least help him realize what he is doing...its a lot harder said than done though.

if dr. schoonmaker chimes in he will have better stuff to say than i.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:22 PM

Thanks tdarko. I'm wondering what 'rock bottom' is for him. Let me give you a few examples. In February he had 30grand in his online account. He calls me in mid april saying he is almost bust and needs to go to Commerce and go on a run. He ends up spending 30hrs straight playing 40-80 and making an amazing 10grand. 3 Weeks later that money is gone and he goes for another run, gets up to 5 grand, sits at a 100-200 game and loses it in a few hands. Just this weekend he cashed his student loan check and went to Commerce. He started with 1400 proceeded to lose all but 60$ and somehow make it all back, within 30hrs. He has a lot of debt and sadly I know he can continue to get it through new credit cards etc. etc. So even when he hits rock bottom, he's gonna be pretty screwed. I play a lot of poker too but I am not this sick.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks tdarko. I'm wondering what 'rock bottom' is for him. Let me give you a few examples. In February he had 30grand in his online account. He calls me in mid april saying he is almost bust and needs to go to Commerce and go on a run. He ends up spending 30hrs straight playing 40-80 and making an amazing 10grand. 3 Weeks later that money is gone and he goes for another run, gets up to 5 grand, sits at a 100-200 game and loses it in a few hands. Just this weekend he cashed his student loan check and went to Commerce. He started with 1400 proceeded to lose all but 60$ and somehow make it all back, within 30hrs. He has a lot of debt and sadly I know he can continue to get it through new credit cards etc. etc. So even when he hits rock bottom, he's gonna be pretty screwed. I play a lot of poker too but I am not this sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think he's a good player.... he just thinks he is
Old 11-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Thats some major swings your buddy has. I really think the best solution to this is that you make him aware of bankroll management. Seems like your friend is playing with all he got and puts it all in and hoping he gets lucky that playing session... Nah you need to make him aware of GOOD bankroll management and from that point, he won't reach the bottom. I wont say he wont, but not as fast. I have a really hard time seeing anyone lose a 30 grand bankroll if they just stick to the basic guidelines.

I can see why you are worried, I would be too but not because he don't want a job. That's perfectly normal but really, if he wanna keep up poker, he needs to know bankroll management. That's the best suggestion I have for you.