Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Getting popped on the turn - when is it right to slow down?

First, sorry for spamming, I stopped...

I had no read on villain as he was new to the table. I limped preflop from CO, and retrospectively should have raised, but that's not where I'm unsure, I see the preflop limp as a mistake.

When villain check-pops me on the turn, not knowing his style, I was sitting there for a good fifteen seconds moving the mouse between raise fold and call. I tried for the life of me to put him on something where he would call my flop raise and then c/r me on the turn, and could only come up with a set (of 8s or slowplayed from flop) or two pair from the 8, so I was behind if that. If he turns out to be a LAG (and it felt kinda like something a LAG would do), he's popping with a worse king, or lower than top pair or nothing. I decided to just call/check/call cuz I didn't want to be a total pussy and fade to the c/r. It still felt like I was overplaying it. Weak/tight reaction?

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Getting popped on the turn - when is it right to slow down?

Do you at least have stats on the BB now that you have played with him for a few rounds? Stats are very important here.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM

nh, but raise pre-flop.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nh, but raise pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-07-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nh, but raise pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

?????
Old 11-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Just thought it was funny how he explicitly told people that he knew that PF was a mistake [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just thought it was funny how he explicitly told people that he knew that PF was a mistake [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

woops. i don't read good.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:32 PM

nice hand
Old 11-07-2005, 06:02 PM

1. Raise Pre-flop - but you already know that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. On the turn it depends on reads. BB is playing like he's milking a solid hand. He realizes on the flop that when the action gets to him three betting isn't going to eliminate anyone and will only earn him one small bet, but at the expense of slowing you down and losing out on future bets. His turn check-raise was a great play (assuming he has a hand)! Overall, BB seems to either be a good tricky player or a complete donk.

Unfortunately, you're only ahead if BB is a donk. There are 7.5 bets in the pot on the turn. It will cost you one more bet to see a river, and another on the river (since a turn call only makes sense if you are more-or-less committed to calling on the river). So your odds here are more like 4.25:1. These are OK, but not especially great odds -- especially considering that you're drawing dead to a set.

Early in a session, I might make a crying call to gain information (to determine if BB is a donk). If you know BB is not a donk, I think you can fold.

After you get sufficiently many responses, I'd be curious what the results were (my best guess is that he has a set of 3s...).

Edit: he may also have K8...
Old 11-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Weak king. Guy ended up being a total maniac and dumped his buy in within 20 minutes...