Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 05:48 AM

Default Problem with Java upgrade

I upgraded java to install partymine.

Now some java games are giving me a hard time. I think I got the newwest JRE or something like that when I installed partymine.

Is there some java package that I can download somewhere that will restore the functionality of these java games?

--Dave.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Problem with Java upgrade

Before doing anything else, I would see if the games that are not working for you have updates that will work with Java 1.5.

If not, and you really want to play these games, you can try fooling around with installs, environment variables, startups, and so on.

There is nothing stopping you from having two versions of Java on your system at the same time. You can go to the Java 1.4.2 download page and get an older version and install that, too.

The question then becomes how do you change your environment to make things work for you.

PartyMine uses EJ-Technologies software to wrap a Java class in an .exe. The path for Java that will be executed is found in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ej-technologies\exe4j\jvms

So you can make 1.4.2 your default java version, but keep that key as is for PartyMine to execute correctly.

Your Java games may be using the JAVA_HOME environment variable or PATH variable or both to find Java. Go to Run > Control Panel > System and choose the Advanced tab. Click the environment variables button, and look for the System variable PATH. Is the path to Java 1.5 there? Replace it with %JAVA_HOME%\bin if that is not already there. Then make or edit JAVA_HOME to point to the newly installed 1.4.2 version of Java.

Test this out and see if it works.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Problem with Java upgrade

what sort of problems are you having? 1.5 is supposed to be strongly upwards compatible, these type of problems are 'supposed' to be rare.