Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 06:04 PM

Default total unfluffableness

One of the things that has happened a couple times in my hold'em life after I make a retarded fold is that suddenly my cards appear face up on the table anyway. It happened again this morning. $20-40 at LC. UTG raised, next player called, next player folded, I reraised with AK, all folded around to the BB who called, UTG capped it, the coldcaller called, I called, the BB called, and four of us saw the flop which was A-A-6 with two diamonds.

It went check check check to me and I bet. BB called, UTG check-raised, other guy folded, I made it three bets, BB called, and UTG called. Threeway now. The turn was a blank. The BB checked, UTG checked, I bet, BB called, UTG checkraised, I made it three bets, BB called two cold, and UTG folded KK face up. Headsup now.

The river was a diamond and the BB bet out. Profile on this guy is, he got there.

The timing of what happened next was fast and confusing. The dealer had not scooped in the turn bets yet when the BB bet the river. After he bet, the BB had eight stacks of four chips each in front of him, kind of messy. My turn bets were in stacks of four and still in front of me when I bullet-folded on the river from the six seat. There was a gap between my initial-turn-bet chips and my make-it-three-bets chips that I aimed between. It was an easy shot, one that I rarely miss, but my cards did not quite make it through the first columns, which meant that my cards, though obviously folded, had not travelled all that far toward the dealer.

UTG turned over a flush. He thought, or maybe he had just assumed, that I had called his river bet. And that might be one of the reasons why the guy in the one seat also thought I had called, which would explain why he spun an index finger around horizontally and said quietly in the dealer's ear, "Let's see that hand."

The dealer picked up my hand to do the customary tap-the-muck-to-kill-it move, which gave me time to stop him, but I didn't. The dealer turned my hand over in the middle of the table, and two players were ready to jump on him and did, saying hey, Tommy did not even call on the river, so why did you turn his hand over? Which meant that both of those players could have stopped the dealer too, but didn't.

When the dealer understood the mistake, he looked at me and our eyes met. My read was that he felt really scared or really bad or both. I picked up my ace-king and turned it face down and pushed it away from me and said to the dealer mendingly, "Let's do it over and this time pretend I folded." Which is exactly what he did, right after he exhaled.

Tommy
Old 09-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: total unfluffableness

First, nice story. Perhaps a second calling as a writer?

Second, nice attitude. The dealer obviously screwed up, but surely it was an honest mistake. Is throwing a tantrum going to get your money back? Nope.

Third, nice read. Getting better than 20:1, I make the crying call. Was there really no chance of AQ or a desperation bluff?!

Fourth, perhaps I'm missing something, but why didn't you stop the dealer from turning your cards over?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, nice story. Perhaps a second calling as a writer?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you could sing and play the guitar a little, too.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 PM

Good man.

I would also have politely told the dealer it's a good idea to scoop up all the bets before dealing the next card.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The river was a diamond and the BB bet out. Profile on this guy is, he got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

"...he got there"

But maybe, just maybe, once in a while he was sort of already there with ace queen and he's virtually certain you have big slick, after all sixes full doesn't make sense, but he is going to chase and hope and why not, the pot is big, three outs to win and six outs to tie and he's watched two kings disappear and now he's even more hopeful and maybe the river will scare that fascinating, charismatic and a tad eccentric/goofy tight-aggressive guy in the catbird seat lay down for one last bet before so why not bet the river and see what happens...

So you bullet folded. He gains if you lay down incorrectly one time in twenty-two. You bullet folded!?!?!

Am I missing something here? I've never bullet folded. And I've never been so confident in a read that I have laid down a big hand for one bet head up when a scare card comes in a pot I couldn't jump over with a trampoline.

Maybe I need to work on this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Luv,

Rick
Old 09-28-2004, 02:23 AM

I must agree with Rick, even if its a crying call, the money goes in. Anyway, now that the whole world knows you are capable of these folds, you're gonna have to start making these calls.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:35 AM

'total unfluffableness'

Many years ago when feather pillows were still the norm and came in the standard blue/gray pinstripe pattern, I had one, in fact two. Feathers would come out the seams and out the corners and I would pull them out to pass the time while trying to slumber or when planning some attack or stratagem to get back at my older brother. The pillows would easily flatten out and you had to repeatedly fluff them up for comfort. At some point in its life each pillow simply gave out and remained perpetually flat - when it reached the nadir of 'total unfluffableness'. Strange how the memory works as the title of your post brings all this flooding back.

A Fine and enjoyable post about poker – Somehow I’m on pillows, but it feels comfortable and in some way appropriate.

-Zeno
Old 09-28-2004, 05:17 AM

"said to the dealer mendingly, "Let's do it over and this time pretend I folded."

gay. i like it better when you keep quiet about hands and stuff no matter what.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 AM

"He gains if you lay down incorrectly one time in twenty-two."

oh puhleeze! you think tommy is mislaying 22 times here? me yes. you yes. him? no way rick. if that guy could play every river for me from here to eternity, or at least for the next year or two, id be a kazillionaire. he's got that street and these sorts of reads wired.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:49 AM

Good Lord, I hate the IWTSTH rule. I just don't understand why it's still in practice.