Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Collective Conscious physics of

Loony or developing field?
Physics of Collective Conscious More on Collective Conscious
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Collective Conscious physics of

It's from a site named www.meta-religion.com. I'll go ahead and say that it's crackpot.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 PM

Ok fair enough. This one is from princeton
PEAR All skeptic and no wonder makes jack a dull boy.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 4* 10^10 neurones of the brain, having 10^3 synapses, respectively, each of which has 10^2 levels of "strength", would give us a mental "universe" consisting of maximum 10^15 elements. This number is too small even if we consider the classic von Neumann estimate of 10^20 bits as conscious information obtained during a lifetime. Taking into account that the amount of information reaching us from our environment through our external senses is estimated to be around 10^9 - 10^10 bits/sec (see later on), this neuronal model becomes insufficient within 10^6 sec, i.e. within 10 days, even if we count only the information coming from the environment. We can use a finite state model of the brain, but we definitely need much more states than the neural model can provide. The phenomenon of creativity gives an even more stringent constraint on the number of states of the brain (Grandpierre, 1995a).

[/ QUOTE ] This is stateing that our brains can only handle 10 days worth of information, based soley on the neural structure.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok fair enough. This one is from princeton
PEAR All skeptic and no wonder makes jack a dull boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it's from a top university doesn't give it credibility. You'd be amazed at what gets in.

And those papers are ridiculous. I don't even know where to begin...
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 4* 10^10 neurones of the brain, having 10^3 synapses, respectively, each of which has 10^2 levels of "strength", would give us a mental "universe" consisting of maximum 10^15 elements. This number is too small even if we consider the classic von Neumann estimate of 10^20 bits as conscious information obtained during a lifetime. Taking into account that the amount of information reaching us from our environment through our external senses is estimated to be around 10^9 - 10^10 bits/sec (see later on), this neuronal model becomes insufficient within 10^6 sec, i.e. within 10 days, even if we count only the information coming from the environment. We can use a finite state model of the brain, but we definitely need much more states than the neural model can provide. The phenomenon of creativity gives an even more stringent constraint on the number of states of the brain (Grandpierre, 1995a).

[/ QUOTE ] This is stateing that our brains can only handle 10 days worth of information, based soley on the neural structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gibberish.
Although at least this thread is more interesting than the "Is God" "Is not God" "Is God" this forum usually gets.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gibberish.
Although at least this thread is more interesting than the "Is God" "Is not God" "Is God" this forum usually gets.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I couldn't figure it out either. Is the idea of a collective conciousness, as much gibberish? The idea that we awaken from a sleeping relationship with the world to a waking one. That atoms, have always used a method of communication on a level that is not soundwaves.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I couldn't figure it out either. Is the idea of a collective conciousness. The idea that we awaken from a sleeping relationship with the world to a waking one. That orginisms, even atoms, have always used a method of communication on a level that is not soundwaves. It is the EM field that we see instead of communication.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, it's obvious that whoever wrote that quote has no clue how information is coded in the nervous system.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I couldn't figure it out either. Is the idea of a collective conciousness. The idea that we awaken from a sleeping relationship with the world to a waking one. That orginisms, even atoms, have always used a method of communication on a level that is not soundwaves. It is the EM field that we see instead of communication.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, it's obvious that whoever wrote that quote has no clue how information is coded in the nervous system.

[/ QUOTE ]I dont know about how info is coded in the brain either. Not sure if anyone does. But that is not central to CC. Is the central idea total BS?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I dont know about how info is coded in the brain either. Not sure if anyone does. But that is not central to CC. Is the central idea total BS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I do know to the extent anyone knows I guess (it's what I work on) but yes, the central idea is completely ridiculous.