Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 AM

Default session question

here's something that doesn't get talked about much but I've thought a bit about recently. this is really an online only question.

how much of y'alls earn comes from playing longer sessions where you're able to get deep enough (200-400BB) so you can cover other bad players? the reason I'm asking is I never play long sessions and rarely get really deep at a table and stick around with a bad player who's also deep. I wonder how much it hurts my earn.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: session question

If you're good at playing deep... significantly? I always find when i get to playing longer sessions my earn is far higher by the end than at the start... of course I have no way to quantify this but in general people going too far with hands hurts them a lot more when they have more money... (This is @ 2/4 / 5/10 nl, I am a crazy lag).
Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm actually kind of afraid to play deep stack. I play short sessions (very tiny attention span), so double-stacks are pretty common and inevitable, but I rarely get much beyond that. Of course, lack of practice with deep stacks leads to lack of confidence with 300+ BBs, and I make an excuse to myself and pack up around then.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 AM

in general i think being deep is important if you are a lag because people play more scared vs you in general and you can bully more/get paid off on bigger hands better. it just means you have to be the aggressor and know when to lay down, back off and keep firing but if you are good postflop i think being deep is huge.

i play 5/10 6 max and usually when i reach 2500 at a table i will be at 5000 or higher before being done at that table whereas when i never break 1500 i sort of hover around my initial buy in very often.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 AM

This is what happens to me too... 5 tabling i'll have one or two stacks that hover slightly over original buy in, and one or two that hit 200 bb then soar. Or maybe its just my imagination...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 AM

Personally, my longest sessions are usually four hours and I think anything I gain from having the bigger stack I lose from weardown.

I doubt EV is affected much by your stack size in the capped online games. Most of the "big" stacks are between 100-125 big blinds. Rarely do I see a table (at $2/$4) where there are two 200+ bb stacks sitting at once. Then add in the fact that the better players sit longer and thus usually have the biggesr stacks.

Overall, I would say you'll make more with the deeper stack, but not so much that it's worth changing your schedule.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:37 AM

I agree with this post completely. The only time I'll change my schedule is if the game is extremly good (obviously), or if there is a really bad deepstacked player while I'm also deepstacked.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's something that doesn't get talked about much but I've thought a bit about recently. this is really an online only question.

[/ QUOTE ]

This question has applicability to the restricted buy-in B&M games, which are now being spread with blinds up to 5/10 and fixed buys of $400 or $500 in LA.

[ QUOTE ]
how much of y'alls earn comes from playing longer sessions where you're able to get deep enough (200-400BB) so you can cover other bad players? the reason I'm asking is I never play long sessions and rarely get really deep at a table and stick around with a bad player who's also deep. I wonder how much it hurts my earn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a skilled deep stack player in games where the buy-ins are unrestricted and the better deep stack players can buy-in deep. But I'm relatively skilled playing deep in the restricted buy-in games, where chips can fly and bad players can get deep and stay deep for a while since top players can't start out deep and take their money quickly.

When I was playing the $200 or $300 resticted buy games ($3 and $5 blinds), I'd start the first game in one club (not where I worked) and if I got deep early I'd glue myself to the seat because there was usually at least another bad player or three also deep. On several occasions I got 300 to 400 big blinds deep and was facing a couple of oppenents who had 200 to 300 big blinds that figured to be putting it in against me as about a 4 to 1 dog at some point. I had a few huge wins. But I had to play 14 plus hours to book two of the big wins, something I never do in limit (my previous longest day was 11 hours).

OTOH, if I couldn't get deep relatively early in the restricted buy NL I'd leave for the 20/40 limit game unless the NL game was just fantastic even played with a short stack.

~ Rick
Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if there is a really bad deepstacked player while I'm also deepstacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I don't do this, and am wondering how much it hurts my earn.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 AM

I'm interested in this as well. I just don't have the time usually to put in very long sessions. I don't think I've ever played longer than 6 hours, and even that's very rare. My average online session is 2 hours. Full time jobs, girlfriends, and sports take too much time...