Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Top two vs unknown and big action

Converter is broken. Party 3/6 6-max, 5-handed at the moment. I'm in BB with 1000 behind and K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Folded around to the SB with 600 behind, who is new to the table, and I have no reads at all (less than one orbit so far). SB calls, I knuckle it, off to the flop.

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], pot around 12.

SB bets 6, I raise it to 20, he raises to 125.

I can see three ways to play it. Folding is simple enough if I think he has a set. Calling means I'm putting it in on the turn, and it would be best if I think he has a strong K or some two pair. Reraising is good if I think he has a draw, but he may fold a weaker made hand than my top two.

What's your move?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Top two vs unknown and big action

86c, 64c are also very possible, or A5c, the problem is that there are a ton of turn cards you don't want to see. That being said, it sounds like he is certainly happy to get committed with this hand....
Old 07-14-2005, 03:11 AM

my guess is if you push you're not going in as a big favorite. when he calls he'll most likely either have you crushed with a set or have one of the strong draw hands AZK mentioned.

it really looks like he's going to pot commit himself on pretty much any turn.

i hesitate and call, then push turns that don't complete the str8/flush. this way you get in as a bigger favorite when he's semibluffing (which looks like a lot of the time). if he checks a blank turn, i pot it.

i'm not sure how much better this is than folding though.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 AM

did the word fold just find its way into your post
Old 07-14-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did the word fold just find its way into your post

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fine. it's exactly $35 better than folding.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:37 AM

"Folding is simple enough if I think he has a set. Calling means I'm putting it in on the turn, and it would be best if I think he has a strong K or some two pair. Reraising is good if I think he has a draw, but he may fold a weaker made hand than my top two."

Right, so the question becomes: "what % of the time does a random 600nl six-max opponent have a strong K/AA or some other two pair; a set; a draw?" The relative frequency of him having each of those hands (and what he'll do with them, but that isn't a major concern with this hand) determines what you should do. That being said, no one can say with much authority what your 'standard model of random 600nl idiot' should be. Based on what I know, if it's someone who isn't playing the game regularly they probably don't play a set this way often enough to worry about being beat. I vote for calling and raising any non-club turn all-in. Pay turned straights/better two pairs/sets and don't worry about it. You definitely have an edge knowing only what you know.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:39 PM

I've been in a very similar before, however I was the first one to bet. I bet $15 with top two, one guy raised to $100..I thought, thought, thought and eventually pushed. He ended up having a pair plus flush draw and my top two held up.

In your situation, Villain might think that you're on the flush draw so that's why he made such a big re-raise. I personally think he has a set or lower two pair. I don't think he'd be that dumb to make such a big re-raise on a draw because IF knew you had a set or two pair he wouldn't have as many outs as he thinks. Or he really can be dumb and be on a draw.

If you think he has a set, I suppose you could call and hope a club comes so that you can at least bluff by representing a flush or just fold on the flop. If you think he's on the draw, then call and push on the turn if a blank comes or push on the flop if you have a strong read. Either way, you still have outs to make the nut full house.

If he has a set, then oh well, and you still have outs to suck out a higher full house.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Results

I smoothcalled it, turn was a blank and he pushed, I called. He showed 75 and I took it down.

Help me stop being so weak-tight; I considered folding [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Results

You can't fold this 6 handed. I push the flop, it's very draw heavy and I can't imagine him ever folding.