Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Help! Crash coarse needed for tonight\'s game!

Hi,

Going to play in a home game tonight for 2nd time. Got pawned last time.

I know hold'em.

They play 7stud h/l split with wilds, and a big ante. 4-7 ppl in game.

More crazy games, almost all have wilds, are h/l, and have big antes.

By "big" I mean in relation to the bets. Usually everyone has to ante $1 and the dealer has to ante $2 (no clue [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and the bets are .50 until all the cards have been dealt where they up it to $1 bets. So right off the bat, you are usually getting 7-11 to 1 on a call on the flop (is it called a flop in 7stud?), which I think would pretty much make playing anything remotely decent ev+.

Crash coarse in this game anyone?

Oh yeah, and the H/L is a declare also. Anyone?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Help! Crash coarse needed for tonight\'s game!

Wow... the only thing I can thing of is...

turn into a LUCKBOX!

Not much strategy here as the anties already put you in deep and your outcome totally depends on getting good cards. One strategy would be to get all of the wild cards [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Can say that I do not think I have ever played 7 h/l with wild cards before.. even drunk!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:15 PM

How does it work with a declare and with wilds? Is there a qualifier (8 or better)?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:47 PM

No qualifier.

Sometimes they play a game where you get 3 cards, then the lowest one in the hole is wild. You choose to put 1 (of the 3) on the board, and then get one more in your hand, pick another to put on board, etc.

So if you end up getting a pair, you can put the non paired one up, and since both cards in your hand are the lowest, you have 2 wilds. Get another one, and you can put it on the board and have THREE wilds.

Any ideas? Especially one when to fold, etc?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:54 PM

Honestly, I would not play this game. If you're not used to these games, you'll spend a lot of money learning them.

Regards,

T
Old 07-03-2005, 02:19 AM

Is declare in order, or simultaneous? Big difference there.

If you've read (and understand) TOP, you'll certainly have an advantage in this game. You probably have an advantage even without having read TOP. You've been here more than three years, so you're not a fish.

The ante means that luck plays a huge (almost, but not completely overwhelming) factor. Expect giant swings, don't bother to bluff unless you know they're dumb enough to fold, and be willing to press marginal situations despite repeated disappointments. Over the long run (say a year or three), you'll be ahead.

Of course, you could just try to get your opponents interested in "real" poker. If the game goes on for a while, it's likely to happen anyway. In our home game, we played the crazy stuff for several months. Eventually, our regulars learned to accept, and eventually demand "real" poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I would not play this game. If you're not used to these games, you'll spend a lot of money learning them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. It all depends on how much the money means to the OP, and how much fun he's having. The game might be -EV for him right now, but people are liable to do all sorts of things that are -EV, like paying money for movies, concerts, football, drinking at the bar, or buying a vehicle that gets 12 MPG.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe. It all depends on how much the money means to the OP, and how much fun he's having. The game might be -EV for him right now, but people are liable to do all sorts of things that are -EV, like paying money for movies, concerts, football, drinking at the bar, or buying a vehicle that gets 12 MPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, no doubt. I gather from the OP that he didn't especially want to continue being "pwnd" and the easiest way to avoid that is to select a different game. If you're having fun or enjoy the company, by all means, play wherever you want. I, personally, would not appreciate losing consistently unless the stakes were very, very low and I enjoyed the company and/or the bizarre games.

Regards,

T
Old 07-03-2005, 11:47 AM

This is not a game to play in for money. If the money is no big deal, and its a fun game, then go in there and gamble it up. If the money matters or its no fun, skip it.