Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 08:11 AM

Default When to Call with Ace High

I've had a few discussions about this topic with my roommates. There are definitely times to call the river with no-pair, but they're often hard to describe. One place to do it is when you raise pre-flop, bet the flop, and check the turn for a free card on a rag board. After the turn check, you'll be bet into by almost anything. Another time is when you're up against a player who is over-aggressive.

Villian here is 70/30 preflop (way too loose and aggressive).

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: When to Call with Ace High

Since you have so many potential outs on the flop, I might at least lead that street before calling down on the turn and river. (With your gutshot, flush draw, and overcard, it's possible you're a favorite on the flop even if currently behind.)

But, anyway, I think calling down with ace-high heads-up against a 70/30 maniac is fine. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you won the hand, and I think you'll find out your hand is good despite missing more than 1 in 8 times.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:27 PM

One place to do it is when you raise pre-flop, bet the flop, and check the turn for a free card on a rag board.

Unless you strongly fear a checkraise on the turn, it's much better to continue betting the turn and then check behind on the river. It's costs the same and gives you two ways to win instead of one.

Lost Wages
Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 PM

if you think your ahead on the river, then your definately ahead on the flop. you've got a ton of equity on this flop, and against this type of opponent your A and Q outs are probably good. i check raise this flop, and cap if 3-bet. turn and river are fine.