Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Two difficult A-Q hands up for review

UTG+1 is a bit on the LAGGY side.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.75 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

------------------

UTG+1 is your typical loose/passive party player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (14.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.25 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM

Default bump. I can\'t imagine I played both perfect. <nt>

nt.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Two difficult A-Q hands up for review

Hand 2: You should fold pre-flop. I think this is a very clear fold honestly. If he was a very loose raiser I would advocate for 3-betting. I don't see cold calling ever being correct here.

Hand 1: This hand is pretty difficult to really comment on ya know? Nothing is really out of line but I think the turn is worth commenting on. I probably bet this here. I think this is a mistake that I often make. I think checking behind on the turn and taking a free card is the correct play, but if you take this line you are forced to call a river bet on any card (unless you improve).
Old 08-02-2004, 09:26 PM

I did not re-raise in Hand 2 because it took place shortly after hand 1 and the pre-flop raiser in both hands are the same guy (slightly LAGGY guy). In other words, I thought my re-raise would get little respect.
I forgot to mention this in my original post. I know cold-calling in most cases in a no-no, but with another player already committed (so no chance for isolation), is cold-calling all that off, because if I hit a piece of the flop, I can now raise the pre-flop raiser.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 PM

Ok, I missed the fact that the two guys are the same in each hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought my re-raise would get little respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respect from who? I don't really care if LAGGY respects me. Chances are he doesn't respect you anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
I know cold-calling in most cases in a no-no, but with another player already committed (so no chance for isolation), is cold-calling all that off, because if I hit a piece of the flop, I can now raise the pre-flop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

People will fold for two more when it comes back to them. UTG will fold. Not often but he will, but this isn't why you need to reraise. By cold calling you will entice others to cold-call behind you. They will see the limper and you cold calling and then dollar signs will flash before their eyes and they will enter into this "big pot". They will come in with hands that you don't dominate though which is not good.

3-bet and play the pot heads up or against two opponents. Having two opponents is not that big of deal, but if you end up 4 or 5 handed then you are in worse shape.