Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 12:56 AM

Default First post ever! A question about my PT stats.

This is my first post after reading through these forums for weeks. I love it here. I've played about 15,000 hands (full ring) so far in my 45-day online career, mostly as a bonus whore so it's been at all different sites. I'm trying to find leaks in my game and found the "I hate you tiger woods....AKA: Stats post" to compare my PT stats too. The only one I'm most off and worried about (so far) is my Won $ at SD% which is at 57.51 for ~8000 1/2 hands. What could I be doing wrong to have this so high? From what I've read it might put me in the weak-tight category so I've been trying to call down more hands but I can't figure out which "losers" I'm not calling with enough. Do I have this right or is a result of another leak in my game? Is there somewhere on the forum where I could post all my stats and be critiqued? Thanks. Oh and should I be posting this in the Micro-limit or Small Stakes Board instead?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: First post ever! A question about my PT stats.

If you play NL, post in the SSHE Forum. Run a PT report and paste it to your post. You will get plenty of feedback.

Winning 58% of your hands at showdown is not bad. You definitely don't want this stat lower. Looking at one stat in a vacuum is a recipe for disaster. If you post your usual game, VPiP%, PFR%, BB/100 I'll try to give you a first impression.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:29 AM

57.5 not at all bad. Heck, I wish I could get mine UP to this number. I'm no stat expert, but I seem to remember one of the posts here identifying 50-58 as the optimum range. Even if it were out of the range by just a couple of percentage points, I wouldn't worry about it - especially not after 8k hands. That's still a pretty small sample size.

I too have found PT quite helpful in identifying leaks...but not through review of those "macro stats" like VP$IP, W$SD, etc. As long as those are in the ballpark, you're ok. I find it much more useful to review specific hands, and figure out if I'm playing them well.

For example: Look at AJs/AJo, and ATs/ATo. What's your BB/100 rate with these? If there's a big difference, why? The obvious answer is whether the hands are suited or not...but are you making THAT many more flushes with the AJs/ATs than with their offsuit counterparts? You might find that you're playing AJs/ATs a little too strongly, and suffering when you go up against dominating hands (i.e. AK/AQ). Conversely, you might find that you're playing AJo/ATo a little too weakly preflop.

Not saying that AJ & AT are a major item to look at...just one small example of the kind of analysis for which I've found PT particularly useful. Take a look at Axs, small PP, hands like QT and JT, KQs/KQo, etc etc. Figure out how you're winning & losing with them, and look for tendencies that you have with certain hands that may be costing you unnecessary bets. Post some of those hand histories here and see what people have to say about your play.

I think you'll get a LOT more mileage out of that effort than you will from posting a summary of your overall stats for critique.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Excellent post. I would add that he should also look at all pocket pairs. After 20k hands every one of them was profitable for me. Not playing for set value (or sometimes overplaying) is a leak many beginners have.

Also, Axs is a good hand to analyze. Even the fish can read a flush and are hesitant to pay off more than a 'value' sized bet on the river, so making sure that you are getting correct odds is key.

I think your macro stats can be important because they show your style of play (of which you should always be cognizant). I know I am VPiP 25% and PFR of 5% playing 6-max, which makes me semi-tight and a little weak. I know I am leaving some value by not playing optimal TAG. However, my post flop aggression is on relative basis large (4.60).

This tells me, that on a macro level, I probably play post-flop much better than I do preflop. This allows me to isolate hands where I could have been more aggressive preflop.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:35 AM

Very valid point. If my post gave the impression that I was saying the "macro stats" are unimportant, that was an unintentional error on my part. I was simply trying to convey that the OP shouldn't be concerned about a 57.5 W$SD.

I'd also say that a deviation from the optimum range in stats like VP$IP, PFR%, W$SD, etc are of value primarily for an indication that there MIGHT be a problem, but certainly won't tell you where it is or how to fix it. For that, you've got to delve into the hand histories.

(I think we're both saying the same thing here....)
Old 10-12-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very valid point. If my post gave the impression that I was saying the "macro stats" are unimportant, that was an unintentional error on my part. I was simply trying to convey that the OP shouldn't be concerned about a 57.5 W$SD.

I'd also say that a deviation from the optimum range in stats like VP$IP, PFR%, W$SD, etc are of value primarily for an indication that there MIGHT be a problem, but certainly won't tell you where it is or how to fix it. For that, you've got to delve into the hand histories.

(I think we're both saying the same thing here....)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we are on the same page.

I think OP should be happy with a 58% win rate at showdown. I have made a fair amount of $$$ and my win rate is only 57% [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]