Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Is this what a Labour government has brought to Britain?

British prosperity on par with the poorest US states

GREAT BRITAIN's steady slide down the world prosperity league tables has left it on a par with the poorest American states and cities, according to new research by the US Statistics Bureau, an official federal agency. Its findings will be seen as a fresh blow to Chancellor Gordon Brown's claim that his model for the British economy is succeeding and comes as 170 national leaders meet in New York this week to discuss poverty.

Britain would be considered the fifth-poorest state in the United States and the average citizen of central London earns significantly less than his counterparts in comparatively deprived American cities such as Detroit and New Orleans, the research reveals. While the worst US poverty remains more acute than the worst British poverty, partly because of more generous welfare provision in Britain, those on the second-lowest rung of the prosperity ladder are far better-off than their British counterparts - and would be considered middle class in the UK.

more..........
Old 09-11-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Is this what a Labour government has brought to Britain?

I find it comforting I was only the second person to view your thread. =]

And I didn't even read it.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I didn't even read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the secret to how you maintain you wacky views.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:12 AM

Yep, sources like you, radical-left-wingers like democraticunderground.com, and most interest group emails I get are summarily ignored. It saves a lot of time.

Your article could only possibly be interesting to someone who had no prior concept whatsoever of what gdp per capita rates among the different countries are. And even then only the people so narrow-minded as to believe income is the sole determinant of what constitutes 'poverty' would think they could use the report to draw definitive conclusions about policies.

I would say America's alarmingly high infant mortality rates constitute quite a bit of 'poverty' within our own society.

And no I still haven't clicked it. I'm drunk and must now sleep.

Edit: okay now I did click it
Old 09-11-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
British prosperity on par with the poorest US states

GREAT BRITAIN's steady slide down the world prosperity league tables has left it on a par with the poorest American states and cities, according to new research by the US Statistics Bureau, an official federal agency. Its findings will be seen as a fresh blow to Chancellor Gordon Brown's claim that his model for the British economy is succeeding and comes as 170 national leaders meet in New York this week to discuss poverty.

Britain would be considered the fifth-poorest state in the United States and the average citizen of central London earns significantly less than his counterparts in comparatively deprived American cities such as Detroit and New Orleans, the research reveals. While the worst US poverty remains more acute than the worst British poverty, partly because of more generous welfare provision in Britain, those on the second-lowest rung of the prosperity ladder are far better-off than their British counterparts - and would be considered middle class in the UK.

more..........

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say that my standard of living has improved enormously since '97, I haven't ever been given a penny by the government either, my wages have risen substantially and I am not in any union. I am definitely not a supporter of the Labour policy to pay middle class folks to have kids though, my taxes (mainly indirect) have gone up by a fairly large amount to pay for all this, no doubt middle class families love it though.

I think we have been much poorer than the US for a while now, and everything costs twice as much too. Great. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Mack