Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 04:43 PM

Default No Bluffing Posts?

I've read back over the past 2 months worth of posts since finding this site and I don't think I saw any posts relating to bluffing. I was pretty surprised because I think that is a big part of the game. I have read Lee Jone's book and he says bluffing in low limit games is wrong but I have to disagree with this. I think some of my profit comes from pure bluffs although I can't prove how much.

When I bluff, it usually is in the form of betting a ragged board either when first or last to act and when there isn't like 6 players in the hand. I make it a point to try only once and not to continue on later streets. I also don't bluff raise unless I have a very good draw to back me up if I get called or reraised. I usually wait until after I've shown some good hands and try to get a tight image first.

So what does everyone think about bluffing low limit games? How often do you try and in what circumstances? Should I give this practice up?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: No Bluffing Posts?

I rarely bluff outright however semi-bluffing is a large part of my game. Maybe in a tighter game with more observant opponents I would find the need to bluff more in order to get action but at the 2/4 and 3/6 games I play in I get plenty of action and don't see the need to spend money to create any more.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:10 PM

Bluffs are very read dependent and thus very hard to analyze in a forum setting. Its hard to quantify the value of your bluff when we are unaware of how the table has been playing.

Most of the bluffing advised on these boards fall more into the category of semi-bluff rather then the pure "i got the nut low" bluff.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely bluff outright however semi-bluffing is a large part of my game. Maybe in a tighter game with more observant opponents I would find the need to bluff more in order to get action but at the 2/4 and 3/6 games I play in I get plenty of action and don't see the need to spend money to create any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the high turnover and lack of attentiveness on the part of most opponents really kills the advertising value of bluffs.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:17 PM

Default bluffing.

So what does everyone think about bluffing low limit games? How often do you try and in what circumstances? Should I give this practice up?

I bluff a lot, but mostly in situations that I either have enough of a hand, that my hand might be the best hand, (like an unimproved ace), or I have a draw, and some expectation that my opponents might fold. If I bet the turn, and I think that my opponents might be drawing, I frequently fire the last barrel on the river, and it seems like my opponents fold often enough that that last bet is reasonable.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: bluffing.

That is my M.O. to a tee. I'm shocked at how many third bullet River bets work at 3-6. This is very read dependant. To know your opponents and what they are likely to lay down and what they are also likely to play in their position. It's also fun to get called down with 6 high, by an Ace high.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:40 PM

One bluff that I've been thinking about a lot is when I have KQ unimproved. Basically, I'm betting the river a lot heads-up in that situation because I hate checking behind or checking and having it checked through and losing to A-high.

I am perfectly fine betting and losing with KQ unimproved if it means someone calling a river bet with Ace-high.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:46 PM

This is my favorite bluffing hand, particularly against the few 2+2er table coaches at the $3-6 PP game.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2er table coaches

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know who they are, expose them, it's the only way to make them stop.

I'm actually surprised at how often I check behind on rivers and win with the nut-no-ace.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read back over the past 2 months worth of posts since finding this site and I don't think I saw any posts relating to bluffing. I was pretty surprised because I think that is a big part of the game. I have read Lee Jone's book and he says bluffing in low limit games is wrong but I have to disagree with this. I think some of my profit comes from pure bluffs although I can't prove how much.

When I bluff, it usually is in the form of betting a ragged board either when first or last to act and when there isn't like 6 players in the hand. I make it a point to try only once and not to continue on later streets. I also don't bluff raise unless I have a very good draw to back me up if I get called or reraised. I usually wait until after I've shown some good hands and try to get a tight image first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read where some smart person once said that most people don't get away with bluffs nearly as often as they think they do, and the reason why is that they are often simply betting (or raising) the best hand when everyone folds. I think especially in low limit games you might think that you bluffed someone off of a small/medium pair (because they played it like they have one), when in reality your A-high (or even K-high, J-high, who knows?) was simply the best hand and your opponent was just being a moron.