Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Why do I make stupid plays?

Why do I sometimes make stupid plays in tournaments. I know the right play is to fold, but I call anyway. It's like there's a little devil on my shoulder advising me to do something evil, even though I know the correct thing to do. Why do I listen to him?

And I know that when I ignore my little devil, I do well in tourneys (have had several very good finishes lately), but tonight I gave into him.

I was pretty deep into a big multi. I had plenty of breathing room (double the average stack). The blinds were no threat to my stack, I was not in desperation. I even told myself each round, "Don't risk a lot of chips. Don't get involved with another big stack."

Then I get 88 preflop. I limp in to see if I can catch an 8. I plan on folding to a sizeable raise. One other limper, then the big blind raise about 3x the big blind. I reraise him to see where I'm at?!? He goes all-in (covers me). I sit and think. I still have an average stack if I fold right there. There's plenty of time. I knew the correct play was to fold. I call. He shows KK, and wins unimproved.

I kept thinking about how much I would have if I win.

Looking back, I should have known that he had a big hand, because he could have just seen the flop for free in the big blind.

Why do I do this? Does anyone else have a little devil like this too?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Why do I make stupid plays?

You're probably not very good at poker. Don't worry, almost no one is. Don't worry, I'm terrible, too, I'm just glad more than half the people playing are worse than I am.

Helps me sleep.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-29-2004, 01:07 AM

When your at the table, don't get bogged down in "big picture" generalization types of issues......

Keep it Simple......think about....

...making GOOD decisions...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:11 AM

This is the sort of utterly typical, no-fold'em poker that complete amateurs play. You know this. It's why you don't do it most of the time. So who cares why you do it? Just stop.

Self control is the most important part of poker.

NT
Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 AM

Thank you nothumb. That's exactly what I needed to set me straight.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably not very good at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I consider myself a very good player. I've worked my way up from a $20 deposit to now playing and beating the $15/30 online. I'm pretty good at tournaments too. About half of my winnings this year have come from tournaments.

The reason I asked is because these stupid plays seem to happen sporadically, not all the time. And I always know it's a stupid play when I make it, but I do it any way. It's weird.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:45 AM

Thank goodness I read all of the posts before replying. Since you've worked $20 into a $15-$30 bankroll you sure dont need my advice on poker. I'd say the little devil on your shoulder is Mr. Gambler Instinct, the guy (sometimes girl) who says "Ya...take the gutshot draw...if you hit it'll make up for all those lottery tickets, you knob." The good new is you know the guy is there. The bad news is that as much as you ignore him, sometimes his ill-conceived advice will get through. Enjoy the fact you're a good player and indulge the demon now and then or he'll get angry and give you erectile disfuntion.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy the fact you're a good player and indulge the demon now and then or he'll get angry and give you erectile disfuntion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! LOL
Old 11-29-2004, 03:17 PM

I can't say WHY you make stupid plays except that you clearly aren't thinking about the other players' cards.

His raise means that you are either a small favorite (if he has AK or two other overcards) or a HUGE (about 4:1) underdog if he has a higher pair. It is OK to call his raise, but the smarter move would be to fold.

Your reraise was silly.

Calling his all in bet was suicidal.

Unless you are desperate, NEVER make a large commitment when you are either a small favorite or a large underdog.

Regards,

Al