Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Default How to play in which position?

Im sorry as Im sure there are many topics on this subject, but I couldnt find what Im looking for using the search.

Could someone either try to explain, or atleast direct me to an explanation on how to play different positions in poker. I know that the best to be in is on the button. What strategy change should one use in different positions? And if this is a stupid question, dont be afraid to let me know. I can see that it is a little broad and I just can't get out specifically what Im looking for.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: How to play in which position?

Hold'em, Limit or NL, tourney or ring? These are a few specifics to include.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:27 AM

Sorry. My bad. Ring Games - low blinds. Highest I play is 0.25-0.25 In both Pot limit and No Limit. You can give no limit advice to make it easier, though I think the two are quite similar (If they arnet, you can point out my error).
Old 09-17-2005, 01:08 AM

There is a substantial difference in PL and NL. I just thought of something after reading your post, actually I just thought of another thing as well. Most people will give the same advice if you're playing .01/.02 LH as they would if you're playing 100/200 at least in regards to correct/incorrect plays. A bet is a bet, whether it's 10K or .10.The second thing was that I'm reading a poker forum on a friday night when I should be out in the city or playing poker. Sorry, random thought.

Onto the importance of position. I'm sure I'll leave something out so anyone else add their two nickels (no pennies anymore. Inflation!). The main benefit of position is that you get to see what everyone else does before you act. For example, everone folds to the button (you) and you have JTo. You should dump this hand up front but now it's a much stronger hand. Call. A case can be made for rasing as well. The SB calls BB checks his option. The floop: brick, brick, brick. They check and you make a bet. They fold. Position. Since they all checked they gave up their right to lead at the pot. The pots there, sitting, waiting for someone to take it. It might as well be you so don't pass up the opportunity.

This post was supposed to be longer, more details, more info, but my mind is drawing a blank and laziness is compelling me to not write anymore for now.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 AM

There is a big difference between pot limit and no limit? I seem to play both the exact same... I almost never wanted to bet more in pot limit than what the pot limit was.

So is the genereal thing to play less hands as you get closer to being UTG and more Hands as you get closer to being on the button?

If I may, I'd like to toss out some more questions:

I downloaded a pre flop guide from these forums. This contained wheather what one should do with a range of hands in a range of situations pre flop. In this guide, It had the SB playing the most hands. Just about all the hand combos had SB calling an unraised pot preflop. Isnt this the opposite of the general advice of not playing when UTG? SB is always UTG, right?

Lastly, a more specific problem. Said guide gave this advice:

If one has JJ or TT preflop in the late position, you should raise an unraised pot, raise a raised pot, yet only call a pot that has been raised twice if 4 or more people are in it? Dont you want to limit the amount of people going to the flop with you when you have JJ, so you know that they most likey have an A, or K in their hands? Instead of going in with 4 of more people who will most likely made a better hand than you on the flop, even if the flop come as cards lower than J's or 10's.

And thank you again for the advice.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:36 AM

I'm almost certain that the handchart to which you refer is for limit HE, NOT PL or NL. Vastly different. You're probably looking at the SSHE-derived chart compiled by OhGee. If so...NO, DON'T USE THAT FOR NLHE!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, a more specific problem. Said guide gave this advice:

If one has JJ or TT preflop in the late position, you should raise an unraised pot, raise a raised pot, yet only call a pot that has been raised twice if 4 or more people are in it? Dont you want to limit the amount of people going to the flop with you when you have JJ, so you know that they most likey have an A, or K in their hands? Instead of going in with 4 of more people who will most likely made a better hand than you on the flop, even if the flop come as cards lower than J's or 10's.

And thank you again for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for calling with these hands with 4 or more people already in in a reraised pot is that you are now getting very good odds to hit your set. However, at this point you aren't going to limit the field much (because you'll be in late position) and you don't really want to either. With a loose game you may still be a favorite but with 4 already in you are better off just calling. I believe this chart is the loose games SSH chart which assumes a lot of loose passive players. On a tighter game you would fold this pre-flop.

This is all concerning limit. NL & PL I got's no idea.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:30 AM

Hmmm. I don't recall wheather it said it was for Limit or No limit and, as usual, I've forgetton the exact thread where I got it. If someone has a poker chart for no-limit, I would appreciate you leading me to it. One of my problems is raising every hand I want to play and totally ignoring position - which is why im asking about position here. Ive never even thought about position when making any desiciion.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone has a poker chart for no-limit, I would appreciate you leading me to it.

[/ QUOTE ] Don't have a chart on PF play but for the most part, play most of the hands as suggested for limit as in NL. Ah, there's just far too many details. Until the new 2+2 NL book comes out, go the store or amazon and buy a copy of Harington on Hold'em. HOH. Read it like it's going out of style. [ QUOTE ]
One of my problems is raising every hand I want to play

[/ QUOTE ]
I see no problem with this as long as you're raising with solid hands. I rarely call when first into the pot. Actually, I rarely call. I don't like calling bets. I'd rather raise. [ QUOTE ]
and totally ignoring position - which is why im asking about position here. Ive never even thought about position when making any desiciion.

[/ QUOTE ] Problem. Get it locked into your head what position you're in.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:16 AM

In general, you should play more loosely in late position. You can play more drawing/speculative hands because your implied odds are better in late position, you know you are getting decent pot odds because you see enough people limping in front of you, and you see that many people have not raised.

The reason you can play more hands in the SB is because you get a 50% discount. Garbage hands are not worth playing, no matter how many people have limped in.