Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Midd and low pocket pairs

Hi!

Ok, This question is mainly for tournament play(thats what i like best) but i guess it goes for cash games also.

So...
You have a stack of 4000 in chips and the blinds are 50/100, You get a pocket pair of 10,10 or lower and you raise up the pot to 600.
Two players calls you and the pot is aroud 2000 in chips. The flopp deals only raggs and you bet like maybe 1000. Now one of the other players re-raise you and dubbels your bet or maybe even put you allin! What do you do??
Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Midd and low pocket pairs

Well i know my question is a bit fuzzy written...but the main question with it is this. How do i know if someone else has a higher pocketpair or if they just have like AK or AQ??
And many times if i have for exampel 10,10 and the flopp comes 2,5,9 a player with A9 will doubbel my raise or even go allin.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM

You don't really give enough information for a really accurate answer, but here's my opinion.

Assuming you are acting first on the flop. You have 3400 left and a pot of 2000. If you don't check-fold here, you are basically commiting the rest of your chips.

Question. Is there a draw on the board? Is the opponent who raised you capable of making a play on you because he reads your bet as a continuation bet with AK? Would that opponent flat-call your preflop raise with JJ or QQ?

Against typical players I think TT is ahead here often enough to call an all-in or push if he just raises. Since you raised preflop, he likely only call if he flopped a set.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM

If you have a pocket pair, say 10-10 and raise preflop, and get called by 2 players, it will depend where to two players are. Say the flop comes rags like you said, 8-2-2 for example. If you player moves all in, he may have 89 suited, 78 suited, maybe even A8 or something of that nature. However, if you got called by a player in the blinds there is a good chance he may be holding a 2. A lot of players would try to slow play this but fast playing is the new slow playing. If he has some rags like 2 4 and pushes all- in, you almost have to call just based on pot odds, however it depends where the players are. I am sure that a player UTG or in early position is not calling with a 2 in his hand, even pocket 2s are mucked here, but a player in the blinds might want to see a flop cheaply for a little extra and his 2 might have got there. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

-TheActionKid