Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2004, 03:54 AM

Default straight vs. straight hand

Not much point to this post, I just found this hand to be a little interesting, especially my opponents river play. I played this hand earlier today at 50 NL, (.25/.50) blinds at TGC. The table had become very tight for once and I was being the aggressor with frequent blind steals, usually uncalled. I get 8d 7s on the Button. All fold to me and I make it 2.50, SB folds but BB calls. I was hoping to win the BIG 75 cents uncontested, oh well.. $5.25 in the pot. Opponent in this hand has $30 after calling my raise. I have him covered with about $65.

Flop: Jd 5c 3d... Not much there for me. Opponent checks, I check behind. He check-raised me earlier when I tried to bluff and I dont want to make that mistake again.

Turn: 4s.... Hmm.. well, I guess I have a gutshot, but nothing else. Opponent checks again, I decide to check behind hoping to hit the gutshot on the river.

River: 6c... I have the nuts now. Opponent bets out $5, I think and make it $25, leaving him a few dollars left over if he calls. I have been trying this move of leaving the opponent with a few dollars, and I think players are more likely to call or raise if you dont quite push them in. Does anyone else do this??

In any case, he raises the last 5 dollars and I call. He flips over the Ad 2d for the sucker end of the straight, (which he had on the turn), and the flopped nut flush draw.
I dont know why he didnt bet the turn, or why he pushed in with the low end of the straight on the river, but I guess that's NL 50!
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sly