Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Who\'s the donk in this hand? Please Review!

Hand 1525873527, Started at 11/29/2005 5:36 AM
PokerRoom $0.50-$1 Limit OH/8 (Real Money)

Seat 0: SquirtTears ($4.35 in chips)
Seat 1: aapo79 ($31.60 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero ($29.50 in chips)
Seat 3: ZORRO 99 ($59.60 in chips)
Seat 4: u-show-me ($16.95 in chips)
Button: bmac7 ($4.50 in chips)
Seat 6: enjayess ($96.90 in chips)

*** Blind Bet Round *** :
Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

enjayess : Post Blind ($0.25)
SquirtTears : Post Blind ($0.50)
*** Pre-Flop *** :
aapo79 : Call ($0.50)
Hero: Call ($0.50)
ZORRO 99 : Bet ($1)
u-show-me : Fold
bmac7 : Fold
enjayess : Call ($0.75)
SquirtTears : Call ($0.50)
_quackattack : Call ($0.50)

*** Flop *** : 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
enjayess : Bet ($0.50)
SquirtTears : Call ($0.50)
Hero : Call ($0.50)
ZORRO 99 : Raise ($1)
enjayess : Raise ($1)
SquirtTears : Fold
aapo79 : Call ($1)
Hero: Raise ($1.50)
ZORRO 99 : Call ($1)
enjayess : Call ($0.50)
aapo79 : Call ($0.50
<font color="red">At this point I knew I was playing for the high only portion of the hand. I wanted to just call and see if I could catch my high diamond. After the pot was inflated so much after my call, I decided to put in the fourth bet just to show some of my own aggression. Hopefully I could hit a high flush or back into a weird boat.</font>

*** Turn *** : [ 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
enjayess : Check
aapo79 : Check
Hero : Bet ($1)
ZORRO 99 : Raise ($2)
enjayess : Call ($2)
aapo79 : Call ($2)
Hero : Raise ($2)
ZORRO 99 : Raise ($2)
enjayess : Call ($2)
aapo79 : Call ($2)
Hero : Call ($1)
<font color="red">I think I was a little bit overly aggressive here. I had to be afraid of a boat on this street given all the action. If there's already a made full house out there, that would leave me with only 3 King outs. I felt like Zorro might have had the case ace and/or 23. Something about him just screamed that he was trying to build a pot that he would win half of. The rest of the people I didn't know about</font>

*** River *** : [ 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
enjayess : Check
aapo79 : Check
Hero : Bet ($1)
ZORRO 99 : Fold
enjayess : Fold
aapo79 : Call ($1)
<font color="red">Second best thing came out: I made my nut flush with no low board out there. Zorro missed his nut low draw as I predicted. But what is aapo79 doing here? When he called, I couldnt tell if he was making a crying call with a non-nut flush or whether he had a pocket-pair full house.</font>

*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $31 | Rake: $0.50
Board: [ 5d As 9d Ah 10d ]
SquirtTears lost $1.50
aapo79 lost $8
Hero bet $8, collected $31, net $23 Shows [ 7d Kh 7h Ad ] (a flush, Ace high.)
ZORRO 99 lost $7
u-show-me lost $0
bmac7 lost $0
enjayess lost $7
Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Who\'s the donk in this hand? Please Review!

Preflop: Your hand is terrible, you shouldnt be calling from early position with this junk.

Flop: It was going to be capped anyway, you have to call since you got the nut flush draw and theres so much money out there.

Turn: I like that you bet out, but why did you reraise when he Zorro raised you? You had 3 outs if he had the nut boat.

River: I guess betting out could work out as a bluff saying you have A/10, but if someone has a boat he wont fold, but he will raise if he has A/10. I rather check call.

I dont know if its right, but thats the line im going with.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 PM

Golfer - I don't know what a "donk" is. (I'd guess it's a derogatory term, maybe reserved for someone who plays stupidly or unwisely).

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to put in the fourth bet just to show some of my own aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

I don't think it makes much difference whether you bet here or not. (I'd guess Zorro would cap it here if you didn't).

I often wonder why my opponents bet.

I'm not sure why you'd want to show some of your own aggression. (If your motivation was to be more feared, I don't see how capping it here would make you more feared. But if it did, I don't see how being more feared would be advantageous in an Omaha-8 game).

ExGolferBuzz
Old 11-28-2005, 11:04 PM

Too tired to give lengthy explanations, but to summarize ...

Preflop: Easy fold. This is an awful hand, especially from early position.

Flop: Your layout confuses me, but it looks like you are getting 18-1 pot odds on the first bet. You are playing for 1/2 the pot, so you need around 10-1 odds to be able to chase. (you actually X by around .4 and not .5 to figure this out)

You will make your flush 4-1, so this is a call. (slightly worse since you will be outdrwn to a better hand a small portion of the time)

The second decision is a call, youve already put some money in and the odds are not that bad. You also should except to get some extra money in behind you. I would have flat called, though.

Turn: I would have lead out; but not have raised him. Just call it.

River: Fine.

Edit: Fudged on the odds. Guess its 18-1. Even more so for a call.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:06 PM

Your preflop call was weak, but once you saw the flop you sort of got hooked in. Your flop odds on calling $.50 was 18-1, great situation with nut flush draw, even though this board was aweful for you. Then once it got raised on the flop with that many callers, your raise here is justifiable given the EV. Your bet out and raise on the turn was poor though. You have only 5 cards that make a boat and only 3 of those will be good for sure. With Zorro showing that much strength from preflop thru the turn, you have to back off when there are two other callers. Any 2,3 or 4 makes a bottom straight with the low, although you have the Diamonds covered, there is still no way of knowing it will hold against the other Ace. Check/call on the turn and river is proper here. Just my take on it...
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Golfer - I don't know what a "donk" is.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell does an old hand like you not know this? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I feel honored being able to share this knowledge with The Buzz:

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess it's a derogatory term, maybe reserved for someone who plays stupidly or unwisely

[/ QUOTE ]

Good guess.

Donk: Donkey, or idiotic player
Donkbet: To lead into a player who raised on the previous round, also commonly called a "gaybet"

Also can be used as a verb - "I donked off half my stack when I called with just the low and got quartered."
Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 AM

Drew - Thank you.

Buzz
Old 11-29-2005, 12:47 PM

You were the donkey.

nfh nemo.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Looks like there's more than one to me. Watch out though, because betting into a paired board can be a bit donkey-ish too. A lot of hands beat you and there's a lot of players left when that board paired.