Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Wrong time to slow play?

This hand has been eating at me since last night. Sorry that I don't have the hand histoty, otherwise I would convert it to make it pretty.

It was the 6 seat, $11 last night on UB. It was shortly after the first break, I had about 2000 chips with blinds at 50/100.

In the BB I got Q9o
Two limpers, SB completes, I check. Pot at 400

Flop comes down J 10 8, rainbow. Nut straight for me, yay!

SB, who started the hand with about 2200, bets the pot (400).

I think about raising, however the two players behind me are the two loosest at the table but have me well covered.
I simply call hoping for callers and pushing the turn. However both players fold.

Turn is another 8. Pot at 1200
SB has played very tight preflop and very loose on the turn and river bets 800. I put him on A 10, I pushed, he called and showed his 10 8 boat.

Not at all trying to complain of a bad beat here, just wondering was smooth calling the flop the right move? I wanted callers, no flush draws, and even if I had pushed he would have more than likely called me with two pair. I think it was the correct play, but then again I did lose horribly.

What's the verdict?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Wrong time to slow play?

Nope, I think you played it just fine. The times you are ahead here far outweigh those few times he pulls out the random boat. FYI, I got got knocked out of the Party 5K freeroll you get into w/player points in a similar way. I had 7-4o in the BB and a flop of 5-6-8. There was a small bet on the flop, that I smooth called. Turn was another 6, and I checkraised all in. The guy had AA and caught a rivered ace to knock me out.

I digress...there is always inherent risk in slowplaying. You are allowing someone else to catch up in hopes that they make the 2nd best hand. Sometimes they sprint ahead of you like in your case. In any event, I think the risk/reward ratio of your hand justified the slow play.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:27 PM

With your stack size- it was definitely the correct play there. It was a great opportunity to at least dbl up if not more at an early point in the tournament. Just got unlucky he hit a 4 outer on you. Better luck next time.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:00 PM

U played it the way u should have because in the long run if u played this hand a million times ur would come out the dominating winner because off the flop he would only have a 16 percent chance of making his boats and u would have a 84 percent chance of winning every time. 4/5 times of winning
Old 01-30-2005, 05:41 PM

i ditto. you wanted more callers, and to keep the first better involved. file this under bad beat and move on. if he's as loose as you say, he woulda called a raise on the flop with two pair anyhow.