Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re-raising with split Aces

Assumptions:
You are last to act on third street, with a split pair of Aces.
Everyone folds to the player to your right, who raises with a Q showing.

Questions:
1. What is the best play - re-raise or cold call?
2. If you re-raise, would it be surprising to see your opponent fold on 3rd? If so, are you happy if he folds a split pair of Queens?
3. If you cold call, what should you do on 4th and 5th, assuming you have to act first?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Re-raising with split Aces

I think it depends on how you played other hands. If you have been reraising on three flushes or hands like (K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], then you should reraise, because he may call with the queens. But if you have been playing tight, you could get tricky and just call. Then call on fourth, and either bet on 5th or check raise on 5th if you think he is aggressive enough to bet again with queens. Or you could check raise 4th and bet fifth. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM

Usually raise.

If the other guy knows you have Aces, then he is correct to fold. Most won't do it, but he's about a 2:1 dog, and he's going to have to play the rest of the hand in the dark. If he makes two pair, he won't know if it's good or not. That said, I'm happy enough when he folds and I win immediately.

If I chose to flat-call, I would probably go for a check-raise on fourth or fifth, fifth if I was reasonably certain he'd continue betting.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I chose to flat-call, I would probably go for a check-raise on fourth or fifth, fifth if I was reasonably certain he'd continue betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the obvious problem.. you're hoping for a checkraise due to the fact that you will most likely have first position on later streets. I say raise and put him in a position to make a mistake now.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:01 PM

Also, you don’t really want the bring-in in there. Many people call liberally from the bring-in. Best to not let them.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Reversing the question: what if you had the Queens?

What if you were the one with Queens, you completed the bet and get raised by a guy with an Ace showing.

It still looks like a "it depends" situation (as theShootah mentioned in his informative post) - it depends if the guy with an Ace is passive/predictable/tight - in which case he's much more likely to have a split pair of A's, whereas if he's aggressive/unpredictable/loose, he could have more hands which the Queens would have a good chance against.

So if he's a tightwad and you are pretty close to 100% sure he's got Aces if he raises, then you should fold on 3rd. But against most people, call and see what happens on 4th and 5th. (I'm assuming if you call on 3rd, that its an automatic call on 4th to see what you get on 5th - right?)
Does that sound about right?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Reversing the question: what if you had the Queens?

If I had the queens I would ideally fold unless I had a strong read on the villan. I don't think most players are raising hands like (KJ)A after someone completes with a Q, at least at the kiddie pool I splash around in.

I think by calling you are setting youself up to get stuck in a big pot when you don't ever really know if your hand is good.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:20 PM

EV wise, I don't think you're losing much by folding Q's there. You will probably lose more in terms of metagame, image, etc, in the long run. Which is why I'll mix in re-raising with QQ there. Depending on the opponent, you can't be losing that much EV there either. Too agro? I think it's a must sometimes with the right opponent.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM

If you're the guy with the Queens, you should probably be folding more often than most folks do, including myself.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:45 PM

A very important consideration is how likely is it that this player actually would have queens to raise here? After all, he's in pretty good steal position. If he's a pretty LAG type, I'd pop it back 'cause you could just be restealing if you think you can start a little war. Or I'd smooth call if my table image is tight and he may have very little. If he's a tight type, likely to have the goods, I raise it every time to k/o the bring in and make him pay to draw reasonably live against me.