Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:17 AM

Default You guys have probably heard this one before

Every now and then I play in a "dealer's choice" game with friends that includes almost anything except for that game where you stick a card to your forehead. Most of the wild card games they play are variants of 7 stud (baseball, follow the queen etc.) I was wondering if any of you guys know of a website or anything else that covers the math of these types of games. I feel much more comfortable playing straight decked (no wild card games) and that's what we play when it's my turn to deal but I feel kinda lost when playing these wild card games. This is the only home game that I have yet to beat over the past year and I desperately want to beat it just to spite the guys at this game.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: You guys have probably heard this one before

i think you're looking for this book
Old 06-24-2005, 03:27 PM

If I were to write a book about these games, this would be my preface:

The reason behind the popularity of these silly games is that they suit the common style of play so well.
With 4,8 or 10 wild cards out there, everyone has enough outs to call a limit bet with virtually any nut draw. (Not that they'll give up on low straights or flushes either.)
As long as you constantly dump hands with no nut potential quickly and cheaply, you'll beat the game. (In this way, it's sort of like a turbocharged Omaha Hi-lo.) Unless you hold 1 or 2 wild cards and good combinations on the other cards, get out fast before you pick up a draw. Warning: Once you pick up a draw, pot odds will dictate chasing... Bye-bye chips!
If you want to maximize profits, reduce the antes and raise the betting limits. (very important!)
In split-pot hi-lo games, expect very aggressive play from the lows. Nut low hands are much more common- if somebody starts betting like crazy, it's a nut low 95% of the time.
Oh yeah- this is no-fold'em, so Don't Bluff in this game, but do pot-build with your good draws.
Good luck, and remember to fold a lot.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to maximize profits, reduce the antes and raise the betting limits. (very important!)

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot to capitalize VERY IMPORTANT...

but yeah, everything he said.